Graduate Profile: Dr Simon Elliott, School of Classical and Archaeological Studies

Dr Simon Elliott is a full time historian, archaeologist and broadcaster, after completing his PhD in Classical and Archaeological Studies.

What are you doing now?

I am now a full time historian, archaeologist and broadcaster. I spend my working day researching and writing books on classical world themes, working on television productions and engaging in promotional mainstream and social media activity. 

Where has your career taken you since finishing your PhD?

I can specifically thank my PhD research at the amazing University of Kent for initiating my career as an historian, archaeologist and broadcaster. This is because research central to my PhD thesis became my first book about the Roman Navy in Britain. From that point I have never looked back and now have nine books on sale. I of course took care to ensure one of these was my PhD thesis in which I identified the quarries in the upper Medway Valley that provided all of the ragstone to build much of Roman London. 

What attracted you to study your PhD at Kent, and where were you beforehand? 

I actually studied for my PhD at the University of Kent as an adult student, initially part time and later full time. I had previously completed two part time MAs at KCL and UCL and decided to focus for my PhD research on Roman Kent, hence my choosing the University of Kent. 

During your PhD Candidacy, were you actively involved in any research centres or projects?

I had my own specific research project as co-Director of a Roman villa excavation. 

What impressed you most about our academic staff?

My entire team were first class, led by the wonderful Dr Steve Willis. The key to a successful PhD candidacy in my experience is momentum, and they ensured I made steady progress from beginning to end. They were superb in their academic support, especially in sharing fantastic references which at every stage of my work ensured I was on track, well informed and motivated.

How did your PhD equip you for your career?

It was essential to allow me to move from my previous career in public relations to now doing a job I absolutely love. 

Are you still in touch with any of your fellow students?

Yes, I met some amazing friends on my University of Kent PhD journey!

Could you describe a typical day in your current role?

Rising early, put the radio on, make the first coffee of the day and then spend the whole day researching or writing about the classical world. Perfect!

What are your future plans/aspirations?

I am now signed with leading literary and theatrical agents and plan to develop my publishing and broadcasting career.

What is your favourite memory of Kent? 

Completing my Viva, a eureka moment for me after so much hard work! 

What advice would you give to somebody thinking of coming to Kent?

It is an absolutely fantastic place to pursue your academic dreams, go for it! 

How would you describe your time at Kent in three words?

Inspiring, fulfilling, fantasic!