Graduate Profile: Carol Palmer, BA (Hons) English Language and Linguistics

Carol Palmer is a recent graduate in English Language and Linguistics, now studying for a part-time M.Ed in Language Literacies and Dyslexia at the University of Birmingham.

What are you doing now?
I am working as a self-employed specialist dyslexia tutor (I gained this level five qualification, and was working in education, before I began studying at Kent). In addition to this, I am studying for a part-time M.Ed in Language Literacies and Dyslexia at the University of Birmingham. This will enable me to carry out formal diagnosis of dyslexia, as well as improving both my theoretical and practical teaching skills when working with young people with a range of learning differences. 

What attracted you to your course, and to Kent?
I am a mature, local student who has been working with children and young people with learning differences for a number of years, particularly those who struggle with language and literacy. However, I felt my knowledge and ability to understand and help them would be enhanced if I knew more about how the mind represents and processes language. I was lucky that such a strong linguistics department was on my doorstep. I found out more about the ELL degree at Kent as a result and felt that it would enable me to gain the theoretical knowledge I wanted.

Which aspects of your degree did you enjoy the most, and why?
There were so many things I enjoyed! The pathway I chose to take through my degree was probably more technical than most – lots of phonetics, phonology, syntax, and morphology – but to step away from that and publish my own articles in Writing in the Media was great fun, if a little scary at first. I especially enjoyed First Language Acquisition and Language in Atypical Circumstances, and I am really proud of my dissertation in the final year. The wild modules I chose – Psychology I and II and Understanding People with Learning Disabilities – were really interesting and relevant. I can honestly say that I am drawing on the knowledge I gained from my degree every working day, and in my new course. I’m lucky I chose something that is so relevant to my day-to-day work.

What impressed you most about our academic staff?
I was lucky enough to be taught by some amazingly knowledgeable and supportive staff. It wasn’t just the depth of academic prowess on offer, which was of benefit to me, though. There are several staff who stood out for me because of quality of their advice and support. I really felt they cared and, crucially, knew me, my fellow students, and our circumstances. We were not just ‘another student’. Having had three children go through degrees at different universities across the country, I know how rare that quality can be.

Which skills/knowledge did you learn on your course that you use most now in your career?
As I said, I took the degree to learn more about how we process language in our brains and what changes when that process deviates from the experience of the majority. I see this in action with the students I teach and support. I can share with them why, and how, it’s harder for them but, with the right strategies, it can be managed and overcome. Equally, now I’m digging much deeper into the cognitive underpinnings of dyslexia in my course, I am finding a direct application of much of the learning I gained from my degree.

Are you still in touch with any of your fellow students?
Oh, yes. As I said, I am a mature student – the only one on my course – and I found I kind of had two groups of friends, really. Those on my course (including a couple of really close ones, which was rather lovely as both were young enough to be my daughters, yet treated me like I was twenty, too), and a wider group of fellow mature learners from across the university. We are still in touch and have met up since finishing the course. We are all looking forward to having the freedom to do so again, once the Covid situation eases, and can do our long-planned trip to Paris together.

Did you undertake any work experience whilst at Kent? What did you do? Did you find it was helpful in your studies and has it benefited your career to date?
I carried on teaching a few of my students throughout my degree. It was important to maintain my professional skills and I was pleased to be able to take aspects of my learning straight into my lesson plans. I also did student ambassador work on campus during open days, and led campus tours of prospective students and their families during the spring and summer. I really enjoyed this work as, not only is the money helpful, but it’s good for your confidence having to speak with groups of people you have never met before. 

Could you describe a typical day in your current role?
Well, most of the daytime is taken up with course work for my M.Ed. It’s distance learning, so is hosted by the University of Birmingham’s website. Given the pandemic, this has been a blessing, as everything is all geared up for this type of learning. I also review progress of my students, plan their lessons, and create any learning resources that I may need, as well as fielding phone calls from prospective students’ parents. This involves giving a lot of informal advice too, meaning I must think on my feet and draw upon my experience and knowledge of the field. As I work with children and young people who are still at school, my teaching takes place in the early evening.

What are your future plans/aspirations?
I would like to gain my M.Ed and also begin formally assessing for dyslexia, which will mean my words carry legal weight with regard to access arrangements for public examinations, such as GCSEs and A levels. I would like to give back, too. Assessment is crucial to obtaining support, but it is an expensive business, so I would like to offer some free assessments to those who cannot obtain them another way. I want to continue my teaching role as well.

What is your favourite memory of Kent?
Probably the many, many cups of tea shared with friends in the Gulbenkian Café; that was ‘our’ place. Oh, and walking up from Park Wood each day, especially early on a spring morning for a 9 am lecture when it was all quiet and the bluebells were out. 

What advice would you give to somebody thinking of coming to Kent?
Do it! Especially if you are a mature student thinking you are too old to go back to education. It’s challenging, yes, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Make use of the support that’s there for you. There is a lot of it. Don’t be afraid to ask.

How would you describe your time at Kent in three words?
Inspirational, challenging, rewarding.