Graduate Profile: Clarissa Muller, BA Philosophy

Clarissa is a recent Kent graduate from the Department of Philosophy, and subsequently, Kent Law School, where she followed her interests in Political Philosophy and the Philosophy of Law. She is now applying for PhD programs in Philosophy, seeking work in the non-profit sector as a researcher, and writing public philosophy for her blog.

What attracted you to your course, and to Kent?
Undergraduate: Kent’s Philosophy department was highly ranked and had a varied selection of modules across Analytic and Continental traditions (which is hard to find in the UK). The Philosophy program was/is coursework based and had no exams which greatly appealed to my learning style.

Postgraduate: Kent Law School is one of two critical law schools in the UK which allowed me to take Philosophical approaches and apply them to International Law. Many of the lecturers encouraged an interdisciplinary approach which was important to me due to my interests in Political Philosophy and the Philosophy of Law.

Which aspects of your degree did you enjoy the most, and why?
Undergraduate: Definitely the breadth of modules. It’s incredibly rare to find such a balanced approach in the UK at Undergraduate level. Typically, UK Undergraduate courses in Philosophy are heavily oriented towards Analytic Philosophy and at Kent there was a much better balance. Taking classes like Existentialism and Continental Philosophy: Subject, Identity, and the Political enabled me to grasp where my interests in Philosophy lay and without these classes I doubt my experience would’ve been the same. 

Postgraduate: Although it’s to be expected at the Postgraduate level, I was taken aback and impressed by the Law School’s focus on independent working and student-led inquiry. Many essays and even seminars were completely decided by the student and we were encouraged to pursue our own interests in most aspects of the course. Whilst this can be daunting, it was incredibly beneficial as it meant I was able to tailor my degree to my exact interests which, given my rather niche interests within International Law, I imagine I wouldn’t have been able to do elsewhere. 

What impressed you most about our academic staff?
The lengths staff will go to help their students and their belief in student ability. I got into Kent through clearing in 2016 after having a telephone conversation with Dr Todd Mei (the former head of the Department). Despite my lackluster A-Levels, Dr Mei agreed to give me a chance and this mentality is something which I found to be widespread across the Department. Academic staff are always willing to help students and create an environment where students feel able to approach staff with any concern. All staff members who I came into contact with are not only knowledgeable in their fields but warm and welcoming and, I think, truly want to see every student succeed.

Which skills/knowledge did you learn on your course that you use most now in your career?
Critical thinking, public speaking, and active listening are probably the main three. I will always remember in first year sitting in a lecture where Dr Forbes was outlining how to be a good Philosopher and whilst, of course, he spoke about research, reading and so on the thing that stuck with me most was his emphasis on listening to others and being charitable in our responses. Learning to listen and critically engage with what others are saying is a skill I now use every day, both in career-related capacities and in my personal life. 

Are you still in touch with any of your fellow students?
Yes, my closest friend is someone I met on the Philosophy course and there are a few other people who I am also in contact with.

What are your future plans/aspirations?
In the immediate, I’ll be starting my PhD in September 2021 but for the more distant future I’m aiming to establish myself as an academic, publish some of my research, teach at degree level, and to grow my blog and offer young academics a place to share their work in a non-academic format. 

What is your favourite memory of Kent? 
It may not be particularly profound but sitting in the library with friends and working on our essays together. Nothing will ever beat the late-night sessions tucked away in a study hub or grabbing a coffee from the café and rambling to my friends about my dissertation ideas. 

What advice would you give to somebody thinking of coming to Kent?
Make use of the staff and don’t be a stranger. Kent, especially the Philosophy Department, has an amazing sense of community and staff who genuinely want to help you. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, attend office hours, or even just speak up in class. 

How would you describe your time at Kent in three words?
Unexpected. Supportive. Self-affirming.