Hispanic Studies student Alice Cooke wins translation challenge

Alice Cooke

The Department of Modern Languages are delighted to announce that second year Hispanic Studies student Alice Cooke has won the ‘Modern Languages translation challenge’. This was a challenge for Modern Languages Hispanic Studies students to translate a song from Spanish into English.

Alice talks about her experience translating the song: “Whilst translating this song, I found it really satisfying that the beginner’s Catalan module that I took at Kent this year had paid off: one of my favourite things about learning languages is the moment when you can read a whole piece of writing in your target language and realise afterwards that you understood it! As Castillian Spanish was the first language I learned (if we’re not counting English), I found that it was difficult to not confuse words that occur in both languages. For example, ‘por’ meaning ‘fear’ in Catalan and ‘for/by’ in Spanish.

Doing short translations like this are very useful, as they put you in the mindset to practice your target language, without being overwhelmingly long.”