Graduate profile: Tom Colombo, BA Comparative Literature and English and American Literature

Describe your career path since leaving Kent?

I graduated from Kent in 2015, completing a degree in Comparative Literature and English and American Literature. I completed an MA in Philosophy and Literature at the University of Warwick before moving back to Luxembourg. I took the exam to become a teacher trainee in English in 2017. Since then, I’ve been working as a teacher at the very school (Lycée Robert-Schuman Luxembourg) at which I did my A-Levels back in 2012.

What are you doing now?

I’m currently teaching at Lycée Robert-Schuman, which is located in Luxembourg city. I’m primarily working with higher level students (17+), discussing current issues and reading a variety of literary texts.

What do you enjoy about your work?

As a teacher, I’m particularly fond of being able to work with and help other people. I’ve never enjoyed working in an office or in front of a computer, or any job that doesn’t have a central social component for that matter. I really believe that working “in the field” is what makes a difference. You get to interact with, help, and guide students, and most importantly witness their progress throughout the course of one or more academic years. That is simply a rewarding experience.

Do you have a typical working day?

No, and that’s what I like about my job. There’s hardly a routine as there are so many variables in a classroom. Every day and every situation (be it critical or pleasant or not) requires adaptation and flexibility.

How do you think your degree helped you to find work?

My degree allowed me to study what I really enjoyed (and that is literature above all things). I really enjoyed getting off the beaten path and plunging head first into areas adjacent to literature that I’d been unaware of prior to my time at uni.

I think that the interdisciplinary approach of the Department of Comparative Literature and, in particular, the high expectations and help of my seminar leaders and supervisor allowed me to discover and pursue my interests.

How has your time at Kent helped you in your career?

In the first place, being away from home and having to cope “on your own” has been a great way to grow on a personal level. I’ve always been lucky to have had (and still have) my family’s support, as well as that of my friends, some of which I met at Kent and am still in touch with to this day.

I think my time at Kent has helped me realise the value of working together and building strong friendships. Most of my friends studied in areas other than literature (law, politics, sociology) and having had the opportunity to discuss a variety of topics and look at or understand issues from different perspectives is something that’s quite important for life in general, but especially as a teacher.

The work and effort displayed by my seminar leaders and lecturers, regarding seminars, feedback, or any form of help in general, is something I personally have taken away and try to implement in my own working life as much as possible. I try to make my students feel as comfortable and looked after as I felt during my time at Kent.

What are your plans for the future?

If ever my working days become too typical, I might apply for a PhD. Who knows what the future holds. Maybe I’ll be back at Kent one day!

What would you recommend about studying at Kent?

I’ve always been a great fan of the 24/7 library format at Kent. There’s always been something quite pleasant about walking up to campus at 9pm and seeing everyone go home (which really means that all of the library is quiet and empty). Moreover, being able to see all of Canterbury lit up at 4am while walking home is quite a sight!

As far as courses go, I thoroughly enjoyed all of the literary theory seminars I’ve been in (you’ll love Angelos’ theory module). I think the fact that most seminar leaders and students have such different backgrounds and interests is incredibly beneficial for all students, both in interpersonal as well as academic terms.

Any favourite memories of Kent you’d like to share?

My best memory is probably the countless music sessions and amazing nibbles/food with my friends.

Any advice for prospective students?

Go to the library late at night and stay until early in the morning (at least once you’re done with classes and you only have to study for exams or write your dissertation). What you see at the bottom of the hill can be quite inspirational in the wee small hours.