Graduate profile: Amber Mitchell, BA Comparative Literature and English Language and Linguistics 

Amber graduated in 2019 with a BA (Hons) in Comparative Literature and English Language and Linguistics and is now Assistant Director at Explore Learning.

What are you doing now?

I am currently working for Explore Learning as Assistant Director of a children’s tuition centre in South London. I  manage a team of fantastic tutors and we all support over 300 children with maths and English. I’m also in charge of recruitment and marketing for our centre. I started a few weeks before my graduation ceremony.

What do you enjoy about your work?

My favourite part of the role is having the chance to impact children’s education and see their confidence grow. I run a fantastic Creative Writing course that gives me the chance to share my love of English in a fun and inventive way. I also enjoy how much the role has taught me, and how much I’m still learning and improving every day.

Do you have a typical working day?

I really don’t and that’s my favourite part! Some days I’ll be tutoring, joining new members to the centre and holding parents meetings, and some days I’m hardly even in the centre, running workshops in schools and libraries, or attending marketing events instead.

How do you think your degree helped you to find work?

My degree helped me to find a role that combines my interest in education with my desire to work with people. Having a better knowledge of both English language and Literature helps me when I’m teaching too.

Did you spend a year in industry or abroad?

I spent a year studying in Prague, in the Czech Republic. It was the best decision, not only did it introduce me to lifelong friends, but the opportunity to immerse yourself in another culture whilst continuing to learn is unmissable.

Did you take part in any volunteering activities?

I was a member of Kent Community Action, which runs some fantastic events throughout the year, I was able to give back to Canterbury by visiting the local Age UK centre and taking part in litter picks.

How has your time at Kent helped you in your career?

Studying at Kent helped me to nurture the skills and attitudes that I need for my job. It also gave me the opportunity to become more independent and self driven, and to take part in things like organising and speaking at a conference of my peers, which made me stand out as a candidate when applying for my job.

What are your plans for the future?

I want to continue working for Explore Learning, and doing as much travelling as I can in my free time!

What careers advice did you receive at Kent?

For a while I was considering a writing career, I volunteered for the university newspaper and attended a couple of talks where Kent alumni shared their experiences and advice. I also attended a jobs fair in my final year which helped me to conceptualise the variety of different roles that are out there. There are lots of great resources available!

What would you recommend about studying at Kent?

As well as the incredibly accomplished and passionate staff who taught me, Kent has great facilities, such as a new library, a fantastic Erasmus programme, and an abundance of resources to help students beyond university. It doesn’t hurt that it is situated in one of the most beautiful parts of the country.

Any favourite memories of Kent you’d like to share?

So many that I wouldn’t know where to begin! Graduation has a special place in my heart though.

Any advice for prospective students?

My biggest piece of advice would be to immerse yourself in university life as much as possible. Once I’d joined societies that interested me and met so many great people I felt like I’d really become a part of the University.