In memoriam: Robin Taylor

A white lily

It was with great sadness that the School of European Culture and Languages learned of the death of former Lecturer in the Department of Philosophy, Robin Taylor, who passed away peacefully on Wednesday 25 March.

Head of the Department of Philosophy, Dr Todd Mei, said: “When I first took on teaching duties within the Department as a postgraduate, Robin was my teaching mentor. He was one of the most popular members of staff amongst the students, and I can remember during a philosophy of religion lecture he was using the game of bridge to demonstrate an argument. Of course, none of the students really knew what bridge was about. But they loved how enthusiastic Robin was about the analogy and the jokes he made along the way. There were many gestures the students loved to imitate. One of note was when Robin was making a very subtle point. He’d squint a bit through his glasses, raise his hand and use an alternating pinky and thumb movement (like a ‘hang loose’ sign) as if bracketing the subtle point between his digits. Many metaphysical and epistemological points were made in this fashion.”

Emeritus Professor of Moral Philosophy, Richard Norman, said: “My abiding memory of Robin is of someone who just loved to engage colleagues in philosophical conversation! He didn’t have a long list of publications but he was deeply devoted to his subject and was full of ideas, and there were so many conversations in Cornwallis corridors where I wanted to say ‘Just write it down and publish it!'”

Former Lecturer in Philosophy (1998-2005) Professor Edward Harcourt, now at Keble College, Oxford, said: “He was one of the very few people – and I am almost sure the only adult – I have ever seen actually jumping up and down with delight. It was during a break at a conference on campus. He had some objection to Kripke he wanted to run past me – I have forgotten the details, but it was to do with definite descriptions. We talked about it and I said something like ‘yes, I think that works’. And so he jumped. I also remember him playing the lute at a gathering of Richard Norman’s.”

Sean Sayers, Emeritus Professor of Philosophy, said: “What I remember about Robin is how intensely engaged he was with philosophy. When he had just read or heard something that puzzled or interested him he would buttonhole you and insist on discussing it. He was a dedicated and hardworking teacher, a very decent and good humoured person, and a talented guitarist with a particular passion for Cole Porter’s songs. You couldn’t help but be fond of him.”

Former Reader in Philosophy, Tony Skillen, said: “We knew what a fine guitarist he was. But it was still a real surprise to hear from colleagues and students at Colorado University, Boulder, that his playing was famous there and that his very popular classes were decorated and illustrated by his playing. He’d obviously been an Ambassador of Cool over there. Robin was an active and sharp presence at Philosophy Society meetings and a keen Eliot College member – he enjoyed reading the papers and vigorously discussing current affairs in the SCR. A face to recall fondly.”

Dean of the Faculty of Humanities and Professor of Philosophy, Simon Kirchin, said: “Robin was loved by generations of students for his eccentric charm and care for their studies. He was especially interested in metaphysics, epistemology and how they interacted in the early modern era of European philosophy. He was also one of the kindest of colleagues. Robin met his wife, Anna, when she was studying at Kent, and they had a very happy life together, raising their two sons. He’ll be greatly missed.”

A private memorial event takes place on Friday 3 April.