Graduate profile: Emma Valdivia, BA Comparative Literature

Emma Valdivia graduated in 2016 with a BA (Hons) in Comparative Literature. She currently works as a schoolteacher in her hometown in Gibraltar.

Describe your career path since leaving Kent?

I have always had the intention to further my academic studies, subsequently after the completion of my degree at the University of Kent, I chose to do an MA in Education at the University of Sheffield.

During my MA, I was intrigued by the ongoing debates amongst experts to determine the best approach for reading instruction, particularly with regards to Early Years. Bearing this in mind, I continued my studies and successfully completed a PGCE in Manchester Metropolitan University. I am now a qualified teacher working at a Primary School in Gibraltar.

What do you enjoy about your work?

I love my career. As a teacher, I am able to make a difference to the lives of my pupils, both academically and socially, which essentially gives me a sense of accomplishment on a daily basis. Teachers are unarguably the most important members of our society as we give children purpose, inspiration and the drive to do well and succeed in life. In essence, we set them up to become citizens of the world.

I enjoy teaching English Literature, which is my passion. Reading is fundamental to learning; therefore, instilling a love for reading at an early age is the key that unlocks the door to lifelong learning. Reading aloud presents books as sources of entertainment and exciting formative experiences for children to remember. Children who value books are more motivated to read on their own and will likely continue to hold that value for the rest of their lives. Therefore, I will always strive to instil a love for reading at an early age to ensure that my pupils’ vocabulary and self-confidence is developed. Reading builds social-emotional skills and of course, imagination. Subsequently, my Comparative Literature degree has helped me foster this love for reading, which I am now passing onto my pupils.

Do you have a typical working day?

The majority of upper primary teachers spend their days in their classroom orchestrating class discussion or lecturing students on different subjects. For every lesson taught, I am normally allotted 45 to 55 minutes. I also take attendance, deal with homework assignments, and manage other administrative tasks.

How has your time at Kent helped you in your career?

Having had the opportunity to read Comparative Literature at the University of Kent meant for me, a culmination of those long sought out childhood dreams. Never did I expect my studies to give me back as much as they did.

Comparative Literature enriched my perception of literature across the world and enabled me to understand books from different cultural expressions across linguistic, national and disciplinary backgrounds. I knew when I completed my undergraduate degree that I was drawing much closer to my ultimate purpose, being able to impart lessons to students.

My studies at the University of Kent not only broadened my literary knowledge but have also given me skills that will undoubtedly helped me succeed in any chosen career path. The course has helped me develop multiple skills including communication, through the delivery of constant presentations, as well as my abilities to write clearly and concisely.

Comparative Literature has taught me to use theoretical approaches and offer diverse perspectives, together with an understanding of complex problems that require logical thinking towards its resolution. For my third-year dissertation I focused upon children and education; I analysed the needs and psyche of a child during a period of trauma within a harsh environment. My research enhanced my aspiration to learn more about children and inspired me to read a Master’s in Education.

What are your plans for the future?

In the future, I intend to complete a PhD in Literature and Childhood Studies.

What careers advice did you receive at Kent?

The Careers and Employability Service offered me advice on how to write my CV and apply for my MA.

What would you recommend about studying at Kent?

I would unquestionably recommend studying Comparative Literature at the University of Kent. I can safely say my university years were the best years of my life. I developed both at a personal and academic level. I read books from all around the world, studied different genres and learnt about divergent societies.

I have the fondest memories of the Department of Comparative Literature; all the lecturers I have had the privilege to work with were extremely friendly and always supportive. I can surely say that I have studied in different universities in the UK, but have not received the same care as I have had from the University of Kent.

Any advice for prospective students?

Be willing to learn from those around you and join as many different social clubs as possible!