On Tuesday 4 February, Kent Business School will be hosting their first Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (EDI) event of the year: ‘Who is on your reading list? Lost voices in the UK education system‘, featuring Dr Laura Bailey, SECL Student Success Lecturer and Lecturer in English Language and Linguistics.
Food, wine and soft drinks will be provided at the event, which will take place in the Sibson Lecture Theatre 2 on the Canterbury campus. Guests will hear from motivational external speakers who will share their views and experiences to inspire and challenge attendees to think about how diverse the materials they read are, and how they can be an advocate for this change. Topics for discussion will include:
- In 2020, how demographically representative is the curriculum being taught to children and young adults in the UK education system? And what issues does this create?
- What are the barriers effecting representation of People of Colour in the UK education system and curriculum?
- How is a lack of EDI consideration in curriculum design creating educational inequalities, attainment gaps, and impacting on progression and belonging for students?
- Who has authority to publish and produce knowledge?
- What is already being done to tackle this? And how can we advocate for diversifying the UK education system and challenging unconscious bias through education?
The event takes place 17.00 to 19.00 and is open to all – please register if you would like to attend.