Wissia Fiorucci wins Humanities Teaching Prize

Wissia Fiorucci

Dr Wissia Fiorucci, School Director of Education and Modern Languages Coordinator in the Department of Modern Languages, has been awarded this year’s Humanities Teaching Prize. The panel praised “a genuinely innovative application” and noted that the prize recognised “energetic engagement and great resourcefulness with selecting, training, monitoring and supporting Language teacher-trainees”

Wissia said: ‘As a teacher, I’ve always striven to do the best that I can for my students, and I take pride in what I do. When I became the Italian – and then the Modern Languages – Coordinator, I made it my mission to improve not only our learning environment for the benefit of our students, but also my colleagues’ teaching experience. This award is very important to me, because it is a significant acknowledgement not only of my work, but also of the importance of the project itself, which has aimed, first and foremost, at building a teaching culture by emphasising the crucial role of training, while helping young talents in the pursuit of their dreams.’

Professor Shane Weller, Head of School, said: ‘Many congratulations to Wissia Fiorucci on the award of this year’s Humanities Teaching Prize. Wissia’s success follows on from last year’s, when this prize was also awarded to a SECL staff member. This is further evidence that we are a school in which innovation in teaching is matched by a strong commitment to a high-quality student experience.’