SECL students’ employability success

Employability points logo

Students from the School of European Culture and Languages (SECL) have secured rewards including skills development sessions, work experience and paid internships as part of the Employability Points scheme.

The Employability Points scheme is run by the Kent Innovation and Enterprise team at the University of Kent. The scheme rewards students for their involvement in extra-curricular activities. Students can claim ‘Employability Points’ for each activity completed and towards the end of each academic year, students can redeem their points for the chance to apply for rewards. These rewards include paid internships, project placements, work experience, training, vouchers and much more, offered by businesses and organisations.

In the last academic year, 631 students from SECL registered on the scheme with 52 students applying for rewards ranging from paid internships to Amazon vouchers.

The successful students included Lauren Seward, an English Language and Linguistics BA (Hons) student, who secured a work experience placement at Visit Kent on research and marketing techniques. Lauren said: ‘It was an excellent experience which I found both useful and enjoyable. I am really glad that I took part in the Employability Points scheme and therefore was able to achieve this opportunity which I feel has advanced both my employability skills and career prospects.’

Ana Hriscu, a Comparative Literature and English and American Literature BA (Hons) student secured an internship with KRN Media and Porshia Boafo, an Ancient History BA (Hons) student undertook a 3-month paid internship with Medway Council in the Regeneration, Culture, Environment and Transformation Department, specifically focused on heritage and external investment.

Arthur Palmer, a Philosophy BA (Hons) graduate, secured multiple rewards including work experience at Good Brands, a start-up company based at Discovery Park which specialises in sustainability in the global fashion industry. At Good Brands, Arthur was tasked with analysing environmental data, which will allow the business to develop a research tooltkit enabling global organisations to compare disparate data on sustainability.

Speaking of his placement, Arthur explained: ‘I gained a wider understanding of what research involves and the amount of work necessary to collect and analyse the data. Ronnie Mcbride, from Good Brands, also gave great advice on marketing myself, including helping me with my CV and covering letters.’

Since completing his work experience placement, Arthur has been offered further employment with another tenant at Discovery Park, focusing on legal documentation.

Congratulations to all SECL students who secured a reward for their Employability Points.

Further information about the Employability Points scheme is available at: www.kent.ac.uk/employabilitypoints