Linguistics student secures journalism internships

Cover of Women's Health magazine, April 2015

Third-year student Aimee Dutto has secured three internships at women’s magazines following the successful completion of the module ‘Writing in the Media: A Practical Approach‘, run by the Department of English Language & Linguistics .

Aimee took ‘Writing in the Media’ as a wild module and enjoyed it so much she decided to try journalism as a career. The module involves producing a portfolio of journalism and media-related writing, but also has some brilliant tips, including using LinkedIn, which helped her gain some great contacts and network with the right people.

Aimee has just completed her first internship at Woman magazine and has secured two more internships with Cosmopolitan magazine and Woman’s Health magazine. At Woman magazine Aimee worked on the fashion pages writing captions for articles on high street matches and celebrity latest styles, as well as liaising with PR assistants and fashion outlets.

Aimee said ‘The module really helped me decide the path I wanted to take. I knew that I wanted to do something fashion or magazine related but the module helped guide me and teach me what is involved. It is very competitive and takes a lot of patience and hard work to get the internships but I think ‘Writing in the Media’ was the first step in my career and a great inspiration. My career goal is to be Editor-in-Chief at Vogue… one day!’

She has now also been offered a place on the MA in Fashion Journalism at the London College of Fashion and has an interview for an editorial assistant role at Harrods publishers.

We wish Aimee every success for the future.