Classics & Archaeology student wins scholarship for US

Congratulations to postgraduate student Aoife Fitzgerald, studying for a PhD in the Department of Classical & Archaeological Studies, who has won this year’s Ian and Christine Bolt Scholarship, which gives up to 10k to study for a period of time in the states. The scholarships were set up in memory of Christine Bolt, Emeritus Professor of History at the University of Kent, and were generously funded by her late husband, Ian Bolt.

Aoife will be going to the the Department of Classics at the University of Colorado, Boulder, to work for a term with Associate Professor Diane Conlin, who has been studying the Circus of Maxentius.  Speaking about the Scholarship, Aoife said, ‘I am working with Dr Luke Lavan and Dr Ellen Swift on their project entitled Visualising the Late Antique City (VLAC): Everyday Life AD 300-650. My contribution to the study is an investigation into newly built everyday secular architecture. This scholarship will enable me to take advantage of some wonderful resources that otherwise I would not be able to and it will be most beneficial for my research and that of the VLAC project.’  

We wish Aoife a successful and productive year studying abroad.