Welcome Week is the exciting period just prior to the start of the academic term where the School of Anthropology and Conservation welcomes all of its new students to its facilities and academic activities alongside introducing key members of academic and support staff. Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, this year the majority of welcome activities will take place online via Microsoft Teams (links to join the meetings are included below), but there is still plenty to enjoy amongst all of the important information to absorb.
Within the School
On Wednesday, 23rd September, there is a general introduction for all taught and research postgraduates followed by the all-important programme introductions. This will be a great way to meet the staff who will be teaching you, see who else is on your course and find out some essential information about how your course will be running whether you are studying on:
- MSc Forensic Osteology and Field Recovery Methods
- MSc Biological Anthropology
- MA Social Anthropology – Humanitarian and Environmental Crises
- MA, MSc Environmental Anthropology
- MSc Conservation Pathways
- MSc Ethnobotany (please note that this session will be held on Friday 25th September)
- Postgraduate research degrees
Straight after this will be a welcome drinks event for all postgraduate students.
As the week progresses there will be:
- Introduction to Moodle
- Library welcome and RefWorks training
- Student Learning and Advisory Service Introduction
- Meet your academic adviser session
- Plagiarism and Referencing Workshop (PGT only)
- Mindfulness session
Kent Union’s Virtual Welcome Fair will give all new students the chance to meet all of Kent’s sports clubs, societies and community action groups that you can get involved with as a Kent Union member.
There will be the opportunity to chat to the student committees, sign-up for the things you may be interested in and meet like-minded students! Each new student can express their interest in a group without needing to buy membership straight away, so there’s no immediate commitment!