Student profile: Linus Zillmer

Linus Zillmer, a stage 2 undergraduate who holds a sports scholarship in Hockey tells us about his time at Kent studying business psychology

What made you choose Psychology at Kent?

The university brings a great international feeling to the students. The diversity of students and cultures was one major aspect that attracted me the most at Kent University. I met one guy from the Philippines in my first year and he became one of my closest friends throughout the year. It was very exciting getting insights into his life back at home and this very different culture.

How has your course been so far?

I very much like it. There are modules which I like more than other but I think that’s the same for everybody. I got a lot of very inspirational and dedicated teachers. It’s great to listen when you can see how passionate they are about what they are sharing with us.

Can you describe studying Psychology at Kent in 3 words?

“Enriching, self-development, challenging”

What is your favourite thing to do on campus? 

Playing hockey on the astro pitch at the sports centre, after a long day of studies. It’s not only doing something for my health but seeing my friends and having a good time. It’s my time of the day when I get everything of my mind.

” It’s just the best thing ever! I can encourage everybody to join a society. You will gain a second family!”

What does a typical day look like for you? 

After I had breakfast I check my mails and go through my schedule. My weekly schedule includes things like lectures, study time, hockey training and important appointments. After my lectures, I spend a little bit of time in the library to catch up with stuff. I have my lunch with some Netflix on the side. A short nap gives me more energy for the rest of the day. Afterwards I continue studying. In the evening I go to practice. I spend the rest of the evening watching a movie or talking to my house mates.

Is there anything you wish you had known before starting your course?

I can’t expect myself to have all the skills right away. The first couple of assignments will be tough, so there is no reason to doubt yourself.

” Trust in the process that you will learn how to do things. Give it your best but don’t be disappointed if it doesn’t turn out the way you wanted it. You will get better at it over time! “

What role does sport/hockey play in your life?

Part of sport is competition. I am part of the UKC hockey men’s team and the Canterbury hockey club. My scholarship supports me on many levels as an athlete. I participate in a weekly strength & conditioning session. As well, physiotherapy supports me when I really need it like with my injury at the moment. I get the opportunity to participate in various workshops on many relevant topics like nutrition.

” I love the people on the scholarship scheme and their dedication to support my and many other scholar to perform on the highest level in our sport. “