Ambassador Intern Insights: George Sharp

Stipend Ambassador, George Sharp, recently completed an Ambassador Scheme Support Internship, working on the Ambassador Newsletter and Café. Here, he shares the experience

Now that my time as an intern is coming to an end, I can say honestly that I have learnt a lot, had a lot of fun, and managed to experiment with things I didn’t expect to be doing.

I have not only been part of a great team of writers, podcasters and leaders, but I have also been able to meet some other intern teams outside of the newsletter team that I am a part of.

I have taken part in podcasts, video editing, writing, presentations, setting up playlists, activities and so much more that I didn’t think would be possible! I was also able to incorporate a lot of my own ideas and activities into the internship too!

If the opportunity ever arises for you to become an intern, or to take part in some extra ambassador roles I would strongly recommend it.

One of my favourite features of this internship was the structured time I had to work. I would wake up on a Thursday knowing that my shift was from 10:00 till 13:00, and that I could give my undivided attention into the work. Though the zero-hour structure of the ambassador programme is something I like, I really did enjoy having this segment of time that was structured to do my job. It meant I could focus on the tasks at hand and clock off at 13:00 with 3 hours of work completed.

A memorable moment for me will always be the podcasts! Even though I am an English student and writing is a passion of mine, co-hosting a podcast was a lot of fun for me.

I met some interesting people as guests and got to learn a lot about them, as well as what goes on behind the scenes.

I also worked on the Ambassador Café and got to meet a lot more Ambassadors through doing this. I hadn’t previously been to a Café event, but helping host it as well, as writing articles about it, has made me want to get involved more!

Another aspect, among many, that was attractive to me about the internship is that it is a great experience/job to put on my CV. The skills I have gained from a job like this have been great and I feel that future employers would be looking for said skills.

Finally, I would like to say thank you to my team for being very supportive in my internship and I look forward to working with everyone in the future!