O4S – your Apprenticeship questions answered

As Kent goes through Organising for Success and starts the implementation of the new Divisions and as restructures are being carried out within Professional Service areas, our Employee Apprenticeship Manager (EAM)  Loretta Izod, is being asked a range of questions relating to existing staff undertaking/starting an Apprenticeship, or about the recruitment of an Apprentice. 

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions, but if you have an enquiry or question that is not covered below, please do contact Loretta directly who will support you with your enquiry.

Contact Loretta Izod via MS Teams or via email – L.J.Izod@kent.ac.uk

Q – Can I start an Apprenticeship now?

• Yes, Apprenticeships are for everyone of any age and position. Existing employees can start an Apprenticeship at any time, you will need to discuss this development option with your manager, then contact the EAM, who will set up a meeting with you both to discuss the range of Apprenticeships available and the training providers that will deliver them.

Q – Can we recruit Apprentices?

• Yes, you can, following Kent’s usual recruitment processes. We would suggest contacting the EAM first to discuss which Apprenticeship standard and grade would support your needs and how to get levy funds approved for the Apprenticeship (please note the funds are for the Apprenticeship, not salary).

Q – Can I have a break from my Apprenticeship due to Covid-19/Working from Home?

• Yes, you can, firstly you need to contact Loretta, the EAM to discuss your situation to get approval, the training provider has to be informed and levy payments have to be suspended during the break.

Q – If I leave Kent what happens to my Apprenticeship?

• Contact the EAM first to discuss. If you are moving to a new employer we can transfer your Apprenticeship to them, then they will pay the remaining levy payments ( if they are a non levy paying employer, it can be requested that the University completes the payments on their behalf).

Q – If I am offered KVSS can I complete my Apprenticeship?

• Depending on the remaining time and work you have left to complete your Apprenticeship, then contact the EAM. It will need to be discussed with the training provider as, if the Apprenticeship can complete whilst not in employment, the provider may be able to support you to complete, or will support you until you move to a new employer.  The University will continue to pay the provider from the levy whilst you are not employed, or until completion.

Q – What happens if my position is made redundant and I do not have a new job to go to?

• Depending on the remaining time and work you have left to complete your Apprenticeship, then contact the EAM. It will be discussed with the training provider as, if the Apprenticeship can complete whilst not in employment, the provider may be able to support you to complete, or will support you until you move to a new employer.  The University will continue to pay the provider from the levy whilst you are not employed or until completion.