National Apprenticeship Week: Meet our apprentices!

Paul is the Director of Operations for Kent Business School, and is currently undertaking an apprenticeship

Tell us a little about yourself:

I am the School Business and Administration Manager for the Kent Business School and have worked at the University for 8 years. I am responsible for the professional service team at Canterbury and Medway to ensure that we provide a 1st class service to all stakeholders of the Business School. I like working for the Business School as I am required to work across a number of functional areas of the School whilst being lucky enough to work with some great staff, students and external collaborators.

What apprenticeship are you doing?

I am doing the Level 7 CIMA which is delivered by Babington. In the early stages of the apprenticeship I am not requiring any support as I am comfortable with the content. As I progress through the programme I will have access to support within the University.

What is it like doing an Apprenticeship?

Undertaking an apprenticeship is challenging especially when you are trying to fit it around work and commitments outside of work. I learn by doing early mornings and late nights. This is sometimes a challenge when you add a young family into the mix

How is it helping you?

It’s very early stages at the moment as I am still on the first module of the apprenticeship but can already see how it will help me in my current role and will allow me to develop in an area that is becoming an increasingly important part of my role.

What would you say to someone considering starting an apprenticeship?

An apprenticeship is a great opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge through a formal qualification. I would definitely recommend all staff to explore the opportunities but would encourage you to look at the time commitment required to achieve the programme outcomes before signing up.

Loretta Izod is your Employee Apprenticeship Manager
T: 01227 8 16568 E: l.j.izod@kent.ac.uk
Loretta specialises in supporting employees who want to understand how their careers can benefit from undertaking an Apprenticeship.
Use the contact details to get in touch with Loretta to arrange one to one advice, or set up a team meeting for further information and discussion.