National Apprenticeship Week: Meet our apprentices!

Kimberley is the Associate Project Manager within the Project Management Office, and we asked her to tell us a bit more about her apprenticeship.

Tell us a little about yourself

I began my role as a Project Manager in the Business Improvement and Projects Unit (BIPU) in June 2017, so I am coming up to 3 years this Summer.

I was attracted to working at the University of Kent following 7 years in local government.  I wanted change but also to continue to work somewhere that I felt I could really make a difference to people’s lives.  As someone who ended up in Foster Care aged 10, I am passionate about the impact that education can have for young people because I have benefitted hugely myself through schooling and attending University – they absolutely changed the path I went down in life.

What apprenticeship are you doing?

I am undertaking the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship, which has been co-developed with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI).  The Business Management Degree is delivered by the Kent Business School – which is perfectly located as I also work on the Canterbury Campus.  I will also achieve my Chartered Manager Status through CMI having completed the development of evidence through my work-based portfolio alongside the degree.

Loretta Izod, the Employee Apprenticeships Manager in L&OD was extremely helpful in setting up my Degree Apprenticeship and is always on hand to help me with any queries or issues.  I definitely recommend approaching her if you are interested in exploring different Apprenticeship training opportunities – there are so many!

What made you decide to undertake an apprenticeship?

I have undertaken around 5 different professional qualifications in the last 10 years but I felt that I needed to diversify from the standard qualifications I had achieved to date.  I felt I could really benefit from studying further with a business focus lens and the apprenticeship opportunity was too good to turn down.

What is it like doing an Apprenticeship, and how do you learn?

Doing the Apprenticeship is full on but I also find the course very interesting.  With 2 or 3 modules to study a term, and a summer school with exams each year, you need to be organised.  You get 20% of your time off a week, which is important to take (even if you end up making up some hours when work is busy) – the time you can hold for study is so important.  Without this time, you will struggle with the workloads.  There have been weeks where I work on the Degree for 18 hours in all, so a study plan is very important, as is not falling behind.

Learning is convenient as it is mostly online, aside from the Summer school and some group assignments.  This means you can learn when suits you in the week.  The weekly tasks and group discussions are a great way to enhance your understanding of various topics, and lecturers are available to message and call if you need additional support.

What would you say to someone thinking of stating an apprenticeship?

It is a great opportunity for career development and enhancing your skills, confidence and of course, to get qualifications that will benefit you long term.  You will need to make sure you are realistically committed to the work for however many years the Apprenticeship takes but it is an opportunity to invest in yourself, that doesn’t cost you anything.

Loretta Izod is your Employee Apprenticeship Manager
T: 01227 8 16568 E: l.j.izod@kent.ac.uk
Loretta specialises in supporting employees who want to understand how their careers can benefit from undertaking an Apprenticeship.
Use the contact details to get in touch with Loretta to arrange one to one advice, or set up a team meeting for further information and discussion.