National Apprenticeship Week: Meet our apprentices!

Kayleigh is currently undertaking the painting and decorating level 2 apprenticeship at Folkestone college

We asked Kayleigh to tell us a bit more about her apprenticeship, and how it balances with her role of maintenance assistant within Kent Hospitality:

Tell us a little bit about yourself?

I first joined the university in July 2018 for the position of maintenance within housekeeping. After knowing that there are apprenticeships available to me I began to enquire about painting and decorating and with the support of my line manager, I started this apprenticeship in September 2019. This has given me more enthusiasm because I have wanted to do painting and decorating for quite a while now and this was the prime opportunity to take up something I really enjoy.

Why did you decide to undertake an Apprenticeship?

My previous career has been based around childcare, working my way from a nursery nurse to a deputy manager. After being made redundant in July 2016 I decided now was the time to make that drastic change that I wanted for quite some time. The university has offered me this opportunity where I have struggled to get to it before now.

What is it like doing an Apprenticeship, and how do you learn?

It’s refreshing doing an apprenticeship as it’s been a long time since I have studied anything and I feel very dedicated and enthusiastic for this course. I learn so much when I go to college on a Thursday, my tutor is full of knowledge and tips for me to use at work.

What would you say to someone thinking about undertaking an apprenticeship?

I would recommend this to anyone that wants to broaden their knowledge and skills and also it gives you something to look forward to away from your every day work.

Loretta Izod is your Employee Apprenticeship Manager
T: 01227 8 16568 E: l.j.izod@kent.ac.uk

Loretta specialises in supporting employees who want to understand how their careers can benefit from undertaking an Apprenticeship.
Use the contact details to get in touch with Loretta to arrange one to one advice, or set up a team meeting for further information and discussion.