MArch student, Ben Warner, will be joining MSt History of Design at University of Oxford

A big congratulations to MArch student, Ben Warner who will be joining the MSt History of Design programme at the University of Oxford! Ben is one of only 17 successful applicants this year who will be joining the course in September. Prior to his MArch, Ben also studied BA (Hons) Architecture at Kent. We caught up with Ben to find out a little bit more about his time at Kent and plans for the future.

What made you apply to study your Part 2 at Kent?

A big reason I chose to come to Kent for my MArch is because I agree with the school’s unit-based ethos of helping students follow their own interests and find their own style. In other institutions that I considered it almost seems like the students are there to proliferate the research and approach of their tutors; at Kent I have been able to study and design according to my own obscure interests (in my case Gender Politics and Sneakers), not those of my tutors.

What have you enjoyed the most about studying your MArch?

I enjoy the rambling, philosophical chats with tutors; the nerdy software conversations with fellow students in the studio; popping down to the charity shops in Canterbury at lunch; the dread and catharsis of final crits; and looking back at the end of it all to appreciate how far I’ve come.

What advice would you give to a final year Part 1 student about studying the MArch?

I would recommend that aspiring architects consider taking two years out between BA and MArch rather than one. When it comes to qualifying as an architect I believe that timing is more important than speed – luxuriate in the process, soak up all you can in the field, and build up your network. Your MArch work will be of a higher quality, and you will likely be able to get a job quicker after graduating if you keep on top of your network.

Congratulations on your place at the University of Oxford studying the MSt History of Design! Could you tell us a little bit more about this MA and why you chose to study it?

The period of study is 1851 to the present day, and it covers the gamut of design history, including architecture, graphic design, industrial design, fashion and more.  I decided to apply for the course because I believe that every designed object deserves to be studied – not only buildings. I look forward to widening my field of view and deepening my knowledge in the hope that it will make me a better architect.

What are you plans for the future following your MSt?

I still plan on doing my Part 3 qualification and becoming a chartered architect. I was recently head-hunted by a Kent-based practice (HMY) who are supportive of my Oxford and Part 3 studies, so I will be there working as a designer for the foreseeable future.

You can follow Ben on Instagram and find him on LinkedIn too.