Final year student Matthew Maganga shares experience of studying architecture at Kent

We caught up with BA (Hons) Architecture student, Matthew Maganga, who has recently joined ArchDaily as an intern during his final year. Matthew gives us valuable insight and advice about studying architecture at Kent.

What has been your favourite design project so far, and why?

My favourite design project so far definitely has to be Second Year’s Collective Dwelling project. The site being in Dover made the project quite interesting, and I really enjoyed the whole process of having to survey a building and making an illustrated design guide for the city. I also really liked the tutor group I was in, and the tutor, Patrick O’Keefe, made sure to make us challenge ourselves whilst making the project enjoyable in the process. He also introduced me to the book A Pattern Language which since then has always been present in my design process.

How have you found your final year studying remotely?

I’ve found studying remotely for my final year quite challenging. In first year, I was looking forward to being in third year and working on my final project in the studio. It’s been quite an adjustment having to be behind a laptop screen for tutorials. It’s been quite difficult to have self-discipline too, and often times I find it quite hard to separate between work and time to relax. At the same time it’s also quite nice to be able to have tutorials from the comfort of home.

What would be your one piece of advice would you give to students who are interested in studying architecture?

I think one piece of advice I would give is to students interested in architecture is to just have a wide range of interests. Read graphic novels, play a sport, be a person who has an obsessive interest in a movie or a TV show. All of your interests outside the world of architecture will end up subconsciously influencing the designs you make, and make you create much richer designs as a result. Another piece of advice I would give is to get a mentor in architecture school. My mentor, Adarsh, who’s doing his Masters, has helped me a ton with general advice about design.

What’s the best thing you’ve learnt from studying architecture?

The best thing I’ve learnt from studying architecture is figuring out how things fit together. How, when designing, the small, zoomed-in scale and the large, zoomed-out scale are equally important. I’ve also learned, from what a tutor said, that it’s okay for design to be playful. Colour and fun are also allowed to be a part of your designs. Another equally important thing I’ve learned from studying architecture is the importance of accessibility, and how, at the end of the day, good design is inclusive design.

Congratulations on your internship at ArchDaily! Could you give us a little insight into what this involves?

Thank you! The internship involves me writing weekly editorial pieces for publication on the ArchDaily website. I pitch article ideas every week which the editor then has to approve before I write them. The role involves a lot of finding information, which I like, as everything from previous articles, to youtube videos, and current news can inform the idea for the next article.

What are your plans following graduation?

I plan to work as a Part 1 Architectural Assistant before going to do a Masters. Immediately after graduating though – I’m looking forward to having plenty of sleep.

You can read Matthew’s latest article on ArchDaily titled, ‘The global legacy of modernism in Tanzania‘, follow Matthew on Instagram @brutalist.boi, and find him on LinkedIn.