Introducing Edward Powe – KSA’s new Student Social Media Assistant

student profile piccy 2

Edward Powe – Second Year BA (Hons) Architecture Student

I grew up in Torquay, Devon in South West England in a family working predominantly in the tourism industry. I have always had a fascination with building design and with a brother who also studies Architecture, our dinner table conversations became more and more involved with discussing ideas for solving problems and efficiency improving strategies for tourist attractions.

– Why did you choose The Kent School of Architecture?

The two most important factors which influenced my application to the Kent School of Architecture were its rising reputation in the league tables and its proximity to the historic city of Canterbury. If I am going to be studying for at least three years in any one place, it has to be somewhere I can enjoy living, Canterbury ticked all of the boxes for me.

– What are you currently working on?

The main module I am working on at the moment is a master-planning strategy for Faversham Creek in Kent. Working in groups we were asked to consider ways in which traditional maritime industry can be merged with new businesses in order to boost local tourism. We will then use these ideas to propose a viable strategy to rejuvenate Faversham Creek and Faversham town centre.

As well as this module we also have two others, one which looks at steel structures and forms which can be incorporated into our designs, and a history module teaching us about 19th century English architecture.

Click here to view my online portfolio.

Layout1

Which building or architect has had the greatest influence on your work?

Last year a module called Ancient and Medieval Architecture focused on the architectural periods which influenced the design of Canterbury cathedral. Many of the seminars for this module took place within the cathedral itself, which is probably why I have become so attached to it as a place of inspiration. I am fascinated by the different layers of history waiting to be discovered on every visit.

– What advice would you give to someone embarking on an architectural degree? 

One thing which I have come to realise during my time at the Kent School of Architecture is that although an architectural degree will teach you how to ‘design’, there are many other lessons which are often overlooked. For example, as you progress through the years, you will quickly learn how to juggle workloads as they themselves increase. This is done to prepare you for the manner of work you will encounter after your degree.

When I first chose to study architecture, many of the people I talked to told me that I was in for a lot of hard work, however, what they failed to mention is that as workloads increase, so too does your ability to manage them.