Experience with SOP writing

An image of students at PCs at the University of KentJune might be the time that prospective students are applying for UK universities. I would like to share some tips of writing a statement of purpose (SOP), one of the most important documents when applying. Writing an SOP might sound easy for many of you, but not for me. Before writing this, I looked at many websites and asked some previous students for their advice. There are three important issues which I think you may need to address in your SOP.

Firstly, you need to present both your strengths and weakness. It is impossible not to have weaknesses, so you need to be practical about it, but you need to make your weakness not too weak! For example, I am not that good at using the SPSS research software programme, but I am an open-minded person who loves to learn new things and improve myself all the time.

Secondly, you need to detail your contributions to this academic field, to your country, or to a future career. If I were one of the selection committee, I would love to know how this course will benefit you.

Finally, of course you need to explain your past achievements, your past study or work experience so that selectors can see how you can fit with the course you’re applying for.

Good luck to all of you and see you very soon 🙂

This post is by Kunphatu Sakwit