Meet School of Engineering and Digital Arts student Catriona!

We caught up with BA (Hons) Digital Arts (now Digital Design) student Catriona, to find out more about her course and her experience as a student at Kent.

student Catriona Eade

What made you decide to study your course at University of Kent?

I decided to study at the University of Kent for several reasons. I enjoyed the structure of the course and how it would give me skills in many areas of digital arts not only in 3D modelling, which was and still is what I am most interested in. Further to this, I found the staff for the course very welcoming, and I really liked the atmosphere of the campus upon visiting it.

What has been your favourite module so far?

The modules I have enjoyed the most have been the ones surrounding the 3D pipeline. This is due to the very practical way in which they are taught and the fact that it is my favourite subject. Further to this the lectures of this subject and all modules have always given an immense amount of support and help.

What society would you recommend to new students ?

I am part of the Harry Potter society and have been on committee as the Media and Marketing Coordinator for two years. I would highly recommend joining a society, be it sport or special interest as it is a great way to make like-minded friends.

During lockdown, have there been any socials or other events you have loved?

Fortunately for the society I have been a part of we have mostly been able to keep running events virtually during lockdown. The key benefit of this has been, being able to speak to other people who are not in your immediate household and hang out with those that due to lockdown you cannot meet up with.

What’s your favourite thing about living in Canterbury?

My favourite part about living in Canterbury is although it is a small city it has everything you need in one place. There are many restaurants to eat at and several clubs in the city and one on campus. Further to this Canterbury is nearby to several beaches with buses running to all of them.

What would you recommend to a new first year student studying your course?

When joining University I highly recommend learning to manage your time. With majority of the assessments in this course being practical work it is imperative that you manage your time in order to present the best work possible. I would suggest beginning all assignments when you get them as it will allow for more time to be spent on them and avoids unnecessary stress near deadlines.