Catching up with our Year In Industry Students

Despite the challenges presented by the pandemic, our placement students are excelling and making the most of their experience, under the current circumstances.

On Friday 14th January 2022 we caught up with 23 of our Year in Industry students in a virtual mid-year workshop.

Despite the challenges presented by the pandemic, our placement students are excelling and making most of their experience, under the current circumstances. Currently we have placement students working at the Office of National Statistics, HM Treasury, Home Office, HP, Adobe, VW, Nestle, Disney among other institutions/companies.

“It’s an opportunity for the placement students to network together, to keep them connected with the school and for us to see that they are excelling,” explained Director of Placements, Dr Penélope Pacheco-López.

Masnun at Amazon HQ in London during his Year in Industry placement. He has been offered a place on their Grad scheme when he finishes at Kent.

It has been a trend that many students will return to permanent employment at these companies when their degree is completed a year later. Stage 3 student Masnun Siddiquee spent his placement at Amazon in London;

‘I did two rotations throughout the year, one in finance in the retail business, and the other in accounting within Prime Video. I learnt A LOT and improved on a lot of my skills and even just maturing in general. At the end of the year my performance was reviewed by my managers and the head of student placements, where they offered me a place on their Grad scheme after my final year at Uni.’

If you are interested in learning more about the Year in Industry programme, there will be an opportunity to hear from returning students in the Autumn term. Or contact us at hssplacements@kent.ac.uk

Read about Tayla-Leigh Dos Santos’ experience of a Year In Industry placement year here.