Kent is looking forward to awarding honorary degrees to nine inspirational people during its forthcoming celebration ceremonies at Canterbury and Rochester cathedrals. Four of the nine are Kent alumni.
Among those to receive awards will be athlete Dina Asher-Smith, and comedian, writer and activist Mark Thomas.
The ceremonies, which are the first to be held in person since 2019, will take place at Rochester on 22 March, and Canterbury 28 March to 1 April. All ceremonies will celebrate those students who graduated in July or November 2020.
The March honorary graduands are:
- Dalia Halpern-Matthews FRSA, who will be made a Doctor of Arts in recognition of her exceptional contribution to public life, the arts and creativity (Rochester 22 March)
- Dina Asher-Smith, who will be made a Doctor of the University for her exceptional and inspirational athletic career (Rochester 22 March)
- Kent alumna Dr Nike Folayan, who will be made a Doctor of Science in recognition of her inspirational career and her pioneering work with the Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers (Canterbury 28 March)
- Professor Richard Hodges OBE, who will be made a Doctor of Letters for his distinguished and significant contribution to archaeology (Canterbury 28 March)
- Ptolemy Dean OBE, who will be made a Doctor of Arts for his significant contribution to architecture, conservation and heritage (Canterbury 29 March)
- Kent alumnus Daniel Rubin, who will be made a Doctor of the University for his inspirational and distinguished career in business (Canterbury 30 March)
- Mark Thomas, who will be made a Doctor of Letters for his unique contribution to British comedy and politics (Canterbury 30 March)
- Kent alumnus Joe Egan, who will be made a Doctor of Laws in recognition of his significant contribution to the legal profession and to the Law Society (Canterbury 31 March)
- Kent alumnus Keith Teare, who will be made a Doctor of the University in recognition of his inspirational career as a serial entrepreneur (Canterbury 1 April)
Full biographies are available here.