Hilary Edridge, Lady Melville DL appointed as Head of Philanthropy and Alumni Relations

I wanted to formally introduce myself as the Head of Philanthropy and Alumni Relations. I have crossed paths with many of you and for others I hope that we can begin to build relationships as I navigate this new role.

My time in the Kent community has been an inspirational journey, I’ve been on staff of the University since 1995 when I started as the Founding Executive Officer of the Kent Institute of Medicine & Health Sciences. I joined the Development Office in 2009 and in 2013 we launched the Kent Law Campaign creating The Wigoder Law Building. In 2019 we launched the Kent and Medway Medical School Campaign which we still drive today. We also support the Parkinson’s Centre for Integrated Therapy, the Docking Station, Scholarships, Sanctuary Scholars, research projects, student hardship and much more. I am excited to continue this journey to support our relationships and philanthropy so many of you have contributed to.

So, whilst I do have technical aspects to my job (ie. recruitment, scholarships, career placements, fundraising and database tracking) my sole purpose in this role is to engage with you, the alumni of the University of Kent.

In short, I hope to strengthen the network and visibility of alumni across the University of Kent spectrum and to enhance your connection with the University. I want to ensure that our investment in you does not end upon graduation.

We are excited about the future of our Alumni Chapters which are supported by a passionate team of staff members. Alex Perkins continues to be our point of contact for the bulk of alumni engagement whilst Hannah Collins joins us as Alumni Communications Officer.

I urge you all to connect with us, and to let us know what we can do to support you. I know that we have incredible alumni who are doing great things throughout the world but many of these stories go unheard. You each have a role in the University of Kent story. You’re an important part of our past, and a critical part of our future.

Thank you for what so many of you have already done for your university. We appreciate you, and value you and we look forward to building relationships with each of you. As such, I would appreciate the opportunity to hear from you, to collaborate with you and to listen to your suggestions on how we can make our Alumni Chapters stronger, more engaged groups. A simple email to let me know what you’ve been doing since graduation would be great.

Hilary Edridge, Lady Melville DL