A recent survey of UK students found a monthly shortfall of £439 between the average student’s maintenance loan and living costs with one in ten students recorded having used a food bank in the last academic year and one in three stating the cost-of-living crisis might prevent them from continuing their studies altogether.
It is against this backdrop that Kent Giving Week 2023 will be supporting our student community by raising £25,000 to provide 10,000 meals for individuals who need them most.
From 20 – 24 March 2023, there will be a vibrant and varied schedule of events and activities to help us reach our fundraising target including a ‘5K Your Way’ sponsored walk, a cooking demo by the Great British Bake Off’s Chetna Makan and the opportunity to buy our very own Kent Giving Week cookbook! There are plenty of ways to get involved to help us provide meals to students facing serious financial hardship and we’d be delighted to have you join us.
- In The Kitchen with Chetna Makan. Tuesday 21 March 12:00 – 13:00. Join Chetna at a live cooking demonstration of some of her favourite low cost recipes and enjoy the opportunity to taste the recipes as our internal catering team recreate them for all our guests.
- East Kent Rock Choir Concert. Tuesday 21 March 17:00 – 18:00. We are delighted to welcome back, for the second year running, the East Kent Rock Choir. The choir will be performing in a heart-warming and uplifting concert as part of Kent Giving Week 2023, helping raising funds for students facing extreme financial hardship.
- Sign Up for ‘5k Your Way’. Thursday 23 March 12:00 – 13:00. Dance, walk, scoot or run a 5k route around campus whilst raising money for funds for student hardship. You can do this wherever or whenever suits you best but if you would like to join with others then you can come to 5k Your Way Central on campus.
- Big Finale Variety Show 2023. Friday 24 March 19:00 – 21:30. Come and watch a jam-packed evening full of some of the incredible talent we have all across the University, showcased in our very own Gulbenkian Theatre.
- Or simply buy a meal with a £5 gift. £5 will provide two meals for students who need it most. Please donate HERE.
We look forward to sharing more with you about the cookbook campaign but until then please take up the invitation to join us at one of the events at this year’s Kent Giving Week.
With very best wishes,