Rianna Patterson receives 2022 Diana Award

Rianna Patterson

Kent Alumna Rianna Patterson, social entrepreneur and founder of the Dominica Dementia Foundation has been selected to receive the 2022 Diana Award for her commitments to Dementia.

The Diana Award was established in memory of Diana, Princess of Wales, to recognise young people who go above and beyond for social action or humanitarian efforts.

Rianna Patterson (24) is an advocate for young people and adults with mental health conditions, using her platform to advocate for global mental health. She works closely with care homes in Dominica to improve older people’s quality of life on the island.

Rianna founded the Dominican Dementia Foundation – a youth led dementia charity in memory of her grandfather. The foundation supports families and caretakers affected by dementia.

As a personal development coach, Rianna delivers workshops to students and purpose-led employees, presents keynote speeches to influence social change and is currently crowdfunding to produce a documentary film on Dementia in the Caribbean.

This year’s Diana Award recipients will virtually celebrate the achievement of young visionaries and leaders from across the world at their global awards ceremony.

“It’s truly an honour to represent Dominica and the Caribbean in this cohort. I’m extremely humbled that the team at the Diana Award recognised the important work that we do at the dementia foundation. I have been working in this field since I was 18. I would like to thank my God, mentors, my family, coaches and the executive team at the Dominica Dementia Foundation. I dedicate this award to everyone fighting for this cause. I hope that this accolade inspires a young person with big dreams. It is all possible with faith! Believe in your capabilities, invite other people along the journey. Life is not easy so it is up to us to change the game for ourselves and our communities. We have a duty to make this world liveable for all!” Rianna expressed.