Alumna Miss Africa Great Britain fundraises for Nigeria

Alumna Sarah Jegede, and Miss Africa Great Britain recently got in touch to give us an update on the projects that she is currently working on.

I am undertaking a charity project in aid of the students of St Mary’s Catholic Primary School in rural Ifofin, in Osun State, Nigeria. St Mary’s is the oldest school in Ilesha, and one of the poorest schools too. St Mary’s school is in need of a new school sign board and the students are in dire need of stationery. I am raising funds in aid of this cause to provide a new school sign board, stationery, and school bags for the kids. This project is very dear to my heart as I have always wanted to help children in poverty, and winning Miss Africa GB has given me the opportunity to make a difference in lives that are often neglected. When I applied to Miss Africa GB, I was drawn by the amount of charity work that the organisation carries out. My desire to help children in poverty, particularly in Nigeria, was what drove me to win, even when I was tired or felt discouraged during the competition.

There are over 15 million children in Nigeria aged 5-15 who are not in education and it is mostly due to poverty. Their families cannot afford to send them to school and sustain their academic needs financially. This includes school fees but also supplies that are needed for school, such as books, stationery, school uniforms, and school bags. These children are forced to work on the streets, and it affects their mental and social development. They end up underachieving academically, and even worse – many eventually quit the school system because the financial challenges are too much to bear. They often grow up to live in poverty, and their own children inherit this struggle and are forced into the labour force at young ages. You would agree with me that this heartbreaking cycle must end.

In aid of St Mary’s Catholic Primary School, we are hosting a fundraising gala on the 29th of April at The Ripple Centre in Barking. Guests will be treated to an evening of stunning entertainment, great music, dancing, world-class food and drinks with the opportunity to win a wealth of exquisite money can’t buy prizes and experiences. The event will begin at 6pm with guests walking the Red carpet and taking brilliant photographs.

All proceeds from the fundraiser will go towards providing bags and stationery for the 200 elementary School students of this school.

To find out more, you can visit Sarah’s page.