Meet the new UKA Boston Chair: Scarlet Kim

Scarlet Kim

Where were you raised?

I was born in Nyack, New York. But I grew up in the Bronx in New York City. New Yorker to the core.  After high school though, travelled away from New York and lived international and domestically for many years.

What made you decide to study at Kent?

Head Professor Hugh Miall co-wrote “Contemporary Conflict Resolution” with Oliver Ramsbotham and Tom Woodhouse. I studied with the book during my undergraduate studies. And wanted to meet the man in person. He was the Head Professor of the Department of Politics and International Relations.

What would you like to see the group achieve in the next few years? 

I would like the group to grow and make more happy connections. To network, volunteer, and expand the potential of what the chapter can do for the University of Kent and alumni services. Once we are able to establish a foundation of what the Boston chapter stands on, I am excited to see us grow further.

What was your earliest ambition?

My earliest ambition was surprisingly to be an entomologist and to study insects. Beetles fascinated me, however after a while, I couldn’t handle the cringe factor.

What was your first job?

My mother used to own an old fashion candy shop with soda fountain drinks and spinning stools like the classic Americana style. When my mother realized my maths skills were on par, I was working the counter and serving drinks when I turned eight. It was great, I was managing high school and college part-timers because I was the most experienced. I didn’t get paid though, since it was my mom. But tips were great!

What advice would you give a new student at Kent?

Be open, try everything so that you can figure out what you want to focus on, make friends with everyone because you will find a kindred spirit among them, and look up at the night sky at Kent for the stars are beautiful.

Would you recommend Kent to prospective students? Why?

My experience at Kent in Canterbury was life-changing. The friends, the memories, and the studies. I don’t have any negative things to say. And I want others to experience the same amazing time. Canterbury will always be my second home.

How would you describe yourself in six words?

Not enough words to describe Scarlet.