Christie Mimms

Feed URL: https://blogs.kent.ac.uk/brussels-profiles/2012/12/04/christie-mimms/feed/?withoutcomments=1

Christie Mims is The Radical Fairy Godmother to the Woman Trapped in Her Suit. A job reinvention specialist, she is a certified professional career and transition coach with a background working for Fortune 500 companies. As a former business unit director in a top consulting firm, she has been there, done that, and worn those uncomfortable shoes. So, while she knows that career transition is hard, it doesn’t have to be lonely!

Christie holds a BA in History from the University of Virginia, an MA in International Conflict Analysis from the University of Kent, and is a certified professional coach and certified mediator. She fell into coaching when she realized in her early 30’s that she was still waiting on her “real career” to magically begin, despite being a successful consultant. After brainstorming a plethora of bad ideas (children’s book author, shoe designer, and leadership coach via horses – that last one happened over an ill-advised happy hour) she decided to get some coaching and realized that she had found that missing piece – career coaching utilized all of her interests (helping people, having fun, and making an impact to improve lives) , and her skills/knowledge (communications, speaking, facilitation, recruiting, staffing/staff development, staff transition, interviewing, writing). It was a perfect match that became the perfect passion – when you love what you do, everything else falls into place.

Do you think that your studies at BSIS helped you secure your current post? 

A lot of what I learned while at BSIS I still apply today – one might think that International Conflict Analysis and Career Coaching are not all that related, but the study, the focus, the curating of thought that I did at BSIS helps me even in my current job field, most especially when I am writing articles for publication! But, my time in Brussels, my experiences in school and working at NATO – all of these things I still draw on today when working with clients navigating their own career choices.

Have you been able to put what you learned at BSIS to use and if so when?

Most definitely. After graduation I became a certified mediator and professional consultant. Mediation was something that really drew my attention during my studies at BSIS and my work with Juan Diaz (who teaches Negotiation and Mediation) inspired me to get my own credentials and become hands on!

Would you recommend BSIS to potential students and if so what would you tell them? 

BSIS is more than just a school – my studies were important and the professors motivated and pushed me to think differently and to work harder than I had in college. But it was the friends I made there – 10 years later I am still in touch with many – and the life I lead in Brussels which really made the whole experience something extraordinary. I would whole-heartedly recommend BSIS to others (and have!) it is truly a unique experience.

This entry was posted in alumni. Bookmark the permalink.