Tony Deos

Feed URL: https://blogs.kent.ac.uk/brussels-profiles/2012/11/30/tony-deos/feed/?withoutcomments=1

Anthony Deos read for an MA in International Political Economy at BSIS as well as serving a president of the student governing body, the Junior Common Room. He is currently reading for a PhD at the University of Otago in New Zealand where his research is focused on the use of social media in public diplomacy. Whilst at BSIS he undertook an internship with the think tank The Centre and worked as an Account Executive at Weber Shandwick.

What do you think were the key attributes of BSIS when you were here?

The key attributes that set BSIS apart were its student body diversity, the faculty and staff’s devotion to developing strong relationships with the student body and BSIS’ location in Brussels, which facilitated opportunities to engage in practical experience and build a network among leading professionals and political leaders.

Do you think that your studies at BSIS helped you secure your current post?

My experiences since graduating from BSIS have certainly been enhanced by my studies at BSIS. The skills I acquired and the knowledge I gained have helped me successfully secure a position at a Fortune 500 company following graduation, and, most recently, in beginning my PhD.

Have you been able to put what you learned at BSIS to use and if so when?

Currently I am completing my PhD research at the University of Otago, New Zealand – a task for which BSIS helped prepare me. Likewise, my topic is focused on the use of social media in public diplomacy, a topic that grew from my MA studies and thesis research. Therefore, it would be far to say that I use what I learned at BSIS everyday.

Would you recommend BSIS to potential students and if so what would you tell them?

I would definitely recommend BSIS to potential students. Of course, each student owns his or her education and it is what they make of it, but BSIS gives each student all possible opportunities and tools for future success. Get involved and take advantage of every opportunity offered.

This entry was posted in alumni. Bookmark the permalink.