Sheena McLoughlin

Feed URL: https://blogs.kent.ac.uk/brussels-profiles/2012/11/30/sheena-mcloughlin/feed/?withoutcomments=1

Sheena McLoughlin is currently the Programme Manager at the European Programme on Integration and Migration (EPIM). She previously worked as a Policy Analyst at the European Policy Centre (EPC), a Brussels-based independent think tank, where her work involved monitoring and analysing EU migration and asylum policies, as well as organising events on issues related to migration. She has also worked as one of the experts involved in the Independent Network of Labour Migration and Integration Experts (LINET), an initiative coordinated by the International Organisation for Migration on behalf of the European Commission.

As an Irish national, the subject of migration, or rather ’emigration’, had always fascinated Sheena McLoughlin and having completed her undergraduate degree in European Studies at Trinity College Dublin and worked for 3 years in both the private and public sectors, she decided to read for an MA in Migration Studies at BSIS.

For Sheena her time at BSIS was wholly positive and very rewarding. “I had the opportunity to gain more in-depth knowledge in my area of interest – migration – thanks to an engaged teaching staff and very enthusiastic fellow students. The small class sizes made for lively discussions, many of which I remember fondly.”

“The proximity of the school to EU and other international institutions meant that I was able to familiarise myself with the main actors in the migration debate by attending public meetings and I was also involved in a student initiative whereby a group of Migration Studies masters students contacted NGOs and organised meetings with their employees in order to learn more about particular subject matters and their work.”

“The contacts that I made during my time at BSIS helped me secure a job in a leading EU think tank following my graduation. I wholeheartedly recommend BSIS as a great place to study international studies and in particular migration.”

This entry was posted in alumni. Bookmark the permalink.