Graduate profile: Regev Amit, Art History and Drama

We recently caught up with Regev Amit, a recent graduate with a first class in Art History and Drama. Regev shares her advice of studying in creative arts, and also tells us about ‘Bone Deep’, a new play she is currently fundraising for.

What have you been up to since leaving Kent?

I have been trying to keep busy! Throughout my last year of university and also straight after graduation, I was working in a wonderful art gallery, Lilford Gallery, in Canterbury. The gallery gave me the opportunity to meet and work with a lot of leading artists from all over the world and practise some of the things I learnt at the University of Kent.

I also moved up the ladder rapidly within a small London-based startup company which really pushed me to work well under pressure – a skill that has served me every day since. I continued participating in local, independent theatre productions up until I reached a point that I realised that I’m ready to take my passion for the craft of acting to the next step.

I then auditioned for East 15 Acting School for the MA Acting programme, and got in! Although the stage wasn’t totally foreign to me, I have learnt so much so far, but mostly learnt that there is no end to learning. I have had the pleasure to perform in some spectacular roles with one of my favourites being Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing which I performed at Shakespeare’s Globe. I am currently working on a modern adaption of The Cherry Orchard in which I will be playing Anya. This will take place in July and I am very much looking forward to performing in it.

What’s your favourite memory from your time at Kent?

The wonderful city of Canterbury- it is definitely one of a kind. I lived in Canterbury for around four years and I loved walking around the small city and recognising so many people. I also loved the Templeman Library on the Canterbury campus. I must have spent days there! I surely complained about it back in the day, but I would love to visit the silent floor again. It’s the only place I could actually manage to focus and get some work done.

What advice would you give to someone thinking about studying the creative arts?

I think it’s important to keep busy outside of university. I believe we learn so much from side jobs/internships/work experiences, whether they are related to your degree or not. I had plenty of them on the side during my time in Kent and frankly, sometimes it was a bit overwhelming – I think I even had four jobs alongside my degree at one point! Some of them were really silly (I played a haunted ghost in a Halloween attraction!) but I benefited greatly from all of these opportunities. And probably learnt that I do not want to be a ghost again…

How do you feel your degree and time at Kent prepared you for your career?

My degree at Kent taught me to always think critically, analyse, and to not ‘take things as they are’. I also learnt to be truly independent and prepared for the ‘not 9-5 lifestyle’. As a student, I quickly realised that I make my own opportunities and that nobody is ‘waiting’ to offer them to me. This realisation is crucial as an actor. Nobody tells you to build your own website for example, or just calls you to join a play. You have to seek jobs, constantly work on your acting skills (fitness, accents, methods etc), network with others in the industry and so much more.

Could you tell us a bit about Bone Deep and your involvement in this project? How did you become involved in this?

Bone Deep is a beautiful play set in the Parisian catacombs that is coming to The Camden Fringe this August. The character I play, Freddy, searches for her girlfriend who was lost in the tunnels a decade before. This play, with original music, deals with darkness in sensitive yet lighthearted ways, and with elements of the supernatural. The two characters come to terms with their losses and face the very different paths they now have to take.

The team is an all-female, international set up, and we’re currently fundraising to hire a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter, cover insurance and all of the nitty-gritty expenses that come along with putting on a Camden Fringe show. We want to share the joy and love that live theatre can provide – something we’ve all been missing this past year. Even the smallest contribution would make all the difference to get this show on the road to the Camden Fringe and support a beautifully written LGBTQIA+ love story (unfortunately our fundraiser shows a false final target as we are aiming to raise £1800).

Check out our social media accounts and follow our journey on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. This is our fundraiser in case you might be interested in donating!

What are your future plans / aspirations after you finish your MA in Acting?

I aspire to bring more diversity to British theatre, film and TV. I definitely think that it’s getting better every day but I strive to see more ethnic diversity, hear more accents and be exposed to a wider variety of stories.