Alumna TD Moyo premieres play at the Lyric Hammersmith

Author, activist, alumna TD Moyo

Drama and Theatre alumna Tendai Dombojena Moyo has authored a play, Feels, which will premiere at the Lyric Hammersmith, London, beginning 11 March 2019, as part of the theatre’s Evolution Festival to showcase emerging artists.

Feels explores the experiences, feelings, and dreams of five black men who find themselves in a crazed pursuit of memory and the desire to attain, attain something – anything.

Tendai was interviewed alongside actor Cornell S. John for a podcast about representing black men in the media and on stage, which is hosted on the Lyric’s website. ‘Feels is a construction of dreams and feelings,’ she explains in the podcast. ‘These men are all men that I feel that I’ve met.’

Tendai is a writer, director and activist. She graduated from Kent with a BA (Hons) in Drama and English and American Literature in 2016 and an MA in Contemporary Performance Practice in 2017.

Commenting on her time at Kent, Tendai said: ‘My academic study and time at the University of Kent provoked me into a world where creating and showcasing great stories became a viable career choice. I was taught the value of independent thought and emerging work, which is what a professional career in the industry is truly about.

‘Over the course of my study I was challenged and inspired to write and create stories which were contemporary, representative and fun – particularly for audiences comprised of people who look like me or can relate to where I am coming from. University taught me that if we diversify the stage and company, we can diversify the audience.’

The play for will run three days until 13 March 2019, with tickets costing £8.

To find out more and listen to the podcast, please see the page here: https://lyric.co.uk/shows/evolution-2019-feels