Film and Drama student wins community scholarship

Aida Sharaf, a Stage 2 BA (Hons) in Film and Drama student in the School of Arts, has won a Community Scholarship for her application to produce a concert with original songs, with the aim of helping to raise awareness about mental health, abuse and discrimination. The concert, titled ‘Music for Change’, will take place on Wednesday 13 March 2019 at the Gulbenkian.

The Community Scholarship is offered by the University’s Student Services team and is aimed at students who are interested in providing opportunities within the local and campus communities. The scholarship offers the recipient financial support, advice and project management support, and the opportunity to develop personal and employability skills.

Aida is looking for singers, song writers, instrumentalists and composers to perform in her concert, titled Music for Change. Aida says ‘I thought this project would be a great opportunity to bring people together in order to create original songs. I have written a few songs for myself, and other singers who have joined me on the project. I have also recruited a few other song writers to perform and tell their stories, and others who are happy to pass their songs on to other singers. I have recruited some instrumentalists and composers to create raw sounds in order to complete the songs, however some songs will be performed over backing tracks. This is a concert allowing people to express themselves and tell their stories and also ensure others out there that they are not alone.’

The technical aspects of the concert will be covered by Tech31, a government-funded organisation which gives young people the opportunity to develop production and technical stage skills.

If you are a singer, song writers, instrumentalist or composer and would like to be involved with the project, please contact Aida at the following email: as2120@kent.ac.uk