All are warmly invited to the Melodrama Research Group’s one-day Symposium on Maternal Melodrama on the 3rd of June, sponsored by the Centre for the Interdisciplinary Study of Film and the Moving Image.
We are very glad to welcome esteemed film scholars Professor Pam Cook and Dr Catherine Grant to this event, who will both be presenting videographic essays. Professor Cook will begin with “Paratext and Subtext: Reading Mildred Pierce as Maternal Melodrama” and Dr Grant will conclude the morning session with “Studying Old and New Maternal Melodramas Videographically”. Lunch will succeed these two presentations, and in the afternoon a series of short papers will be given, before a plenary session sums up the day’s findings. Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
Schedule for day:
- 10.00 – 10.30 Welcome and refreshments (GS6)
- 10.30 – 12.30 Videographic essays and the Maternal Melodrama (GLT3)
- Pam Cook: Paratext and Subtext: Reading Mildred Pierce as Maternal Melodrama
- Catherine Grant: Studying Old and New Maternal Melodramas Videographically
- 12.30 – 1.30 Lunch (GS6)
- 1.30 – 3.30 Afternoon papers (GLT3)
For additional information please visit the MRG’s blog: https://blogs.kent.ac.uk/melodramaresearchgroup/