“An individual who seeks to lead change in an organization to transform that organization into a smarter, more successful, and more sustainable enterprise. This individual may exist at any level within an organization and in any type of organization, from the Chief Executive Officer to administrative assistant, from Mayor to city staffer, from university president to student leader.” The Sustainability Dictionary
At present there are over 30 sustainability champions from 23 different Schools and Departments across the University who have taken on a voluntary role as the local point of contact for any sustainability issues within their department. They are also the drivers for local sustainable change and coordinate the department’s response and participation in Kent’s new behaviour change project, FutureProof.
At the University of Kent our Sustainability Champions are a vital part of our delivery of sustainability actions and projects, and since 2010 have delivered thousands of actions and ideas to help Kent improve its sustainability.
Any member of staff from the Department/School may volunteer (in the case of Schools, students may also act as the representative where there is a staff member that can support them), all we ask is that they have an enthusiasm for enacting change and have permission from their manager to devote some time to this.
Sustainability champions are supported by the Sustainability Team and they are provided with training, rewards and access to a network of likeminded people.
You can read more about what it is like to be a Sustainability Champion and the about the kind of activities they do here.
Find your local champion:
Below is a list of the current champions and their area. If you are a staff member or student from any of these areas and have a sustainability question or idea please get in touch with your local champion. If you cannot find a champion for your local area please email the Sustainability Team at email@example.com . If you think you would be interested in becoming a sustainability champion then please let us know!
- Catering and Bars: Adam Hames, Chris Terry, Julie Biggs, Mark Finch, Sam Riddington and Sam Hackett
- Congregations – Kayleigh Brampton
- Development Services – Louisa Al Saada
- Enrollment Management Services – Claire Delf and Nicola King
- Estates – Paul Griffiths, Luke Earnshaw, Catherine Collins, Emma Dimmond, Michele Jones Gill, Gary Law, Juliet Thomas.
- Estates (Medway) – Lee Montgomery
- Finance Department – Diane Elswood and Hannah Barham
- Gulbenkian – Jake Taylor
- International Partnerships – Emma Marku and Sophie Baker
- International Recruitment – Hannah Ellerby
- IS Planning and Administration – Carey Sellwood and Virginia Frewin-Clarke
- IT Development – Tim Jenkins
- Kent Innovation and Enterprise – Emma Lansdell
- Kent Law School – Claire Mace
- Kent Sport – Thomas Fielder
- Medway Student Administration – Lynne Regan and Sarah Carter
- Music Department – Sophie Meikle
- Office of the Vice Chancellor – Jess Sutherland
- Procurement Department – Ashley Shelbrooke
- Safety, Health and Environment Unit – Andrew Briggs
- School of Arts – Kelda MCcabe, Nicola Denning and Will Forest
- School of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science – Judith Broom
- Kent Business School – Lyndsay Whiting
- Student Services (Careers and Employability Service) – Sarah Skinner