1% pay increase… “fait accompli”?

Stewards have heard concerns from members regarding the University’s decision to pay the 1% increase in wages in September (backdated by a month) rather than wait for the outcome of the current pay dispute. Some members feel that this looks like a “fait accompli” and that accepting this increase may somehow weaken our case. “Why did the unions accept this?” is a question we have heard.

The fact is that the staff side were not consulted and this was a unilateral decision. The University has explicitly said that it will honour any higher award, if that were agreed, and fully backdate that too. My own opinion, and this is not an “official” statement in any way, is that miserly though the 1% increase is I would rather have it now than in several months time as the bills I have to pay can’t wait that long! This doesn’t mean I have given up on the possibility of a better offer and more backdated pay to come later on… and nor should other members.

I’ll close this brief posting by reminding members that the ballot closes on 8th October so if you have not returned your ballot paper you need to do that _today_!