Meet some of our sports scholarship stars

Applications for sports scholarships is open until April 30th 2023.

Are you a sporting fanatic? No matter your sport, there could be a scholarship for you.

Meet some of our sport scholars.

Jorja Jones

Sport: Field Hockey

Academic course: Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation

Best sporting achievement/personal best: U21 Junior World cup 2021.

2022/23 goals in sport: As well as continuing to improve myself as a player, I hope to be able to play again for my country, and make Kent proud to have me as a player.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? I chose Kent not only for its diversity and great academic reputation but also from the webinars, the student and staff were so encouraging and the campus and course were exactly what I had been looking for.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? I am looking forward to challenge myself in a new environment. I’m excited to work with new coaches with their techniques as well as meet new friends and make memories.

Harry Pout

Sport: Field Hockey

Best sporting achievement/personal best: It’s between being the captain of my academy and gaining promotion in three consecutive seasons for my boyhood club’s 1st XI.

2022/23 goals in sport: Gaining better leadership skills and teamwork, whilst improving my overall game and effectiveness in matches, with overall improving my fitness and strength to be as optimal as possible.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? Living in Kent all of my life I’ve been able to observe how good this university is, it’s been recommended by many friends and sportspeople and when I saw what courses they offered it was a no brainer.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? I’m really looking forward to learning the skills required in order to become a practical sports therapist, whilst also gaining practical experience on work placements.

Tilly Tillings

Sport: Field Hockey

Best sporting achievement/personal best: England hockey captain for U16s.

2022/23 goals in sport: To become the best player I can be, working hard off the ball as much as I do on the ball.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? To live at home and continue playing hockey at Canterbury HC.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? Meeting new peeps with the same interests.

Oliver Walker

Sport: Hockey

Best sporting achievement/personal best: Becoming Holcombe Men’s youngest goal scorer in the premier division.

2022/23 goals in sport: To continue to train and learn with my home club and the top athletes and to push myself as far as I can go.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? Returning to Kent Uni is exciting in many ways, sport wise a first full season with the new Hockey pitch is very exciting.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? The S&C sessions, the progress I made last year was amazing to see cand I cant wait to get back into it.

Ayishah Chaudry

Sport: Korfball

Academic Course: Sport and Exercise for Health

Best sporting achievement/personal best: 2nd place at BUCS and competing internationally.

2022/23 goals in sport: Win BUCS, the national league and win a medal at the European Championships

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? There are plenty of opportunities to get involved with so many different sports and societies, and everyone is friendly and supportive.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? Strength and conditioning sessions as I found they were extremely beneficial and improved my performance.

Emily Calder

Sport: ITF Taekwondo

Academic course: Sport Therapy and Rehabilitation

Best sporting achievement/personal best: World Championship Sardinia 2019 – Golds.

University World Championships 2022 – Golds.

English Open Championships October 2021.

2022/23 goals in sport: Compete in:

World Championships Argentina

ITF Open Nationals Coventry

ITF Open Nationals Luton

International Master Class

International Instructor Class

2023 European Championships

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? Primarily it was due to the Sports facilities, strength and conditioning, Physio and Rehab on site and the support that I will receive to achieve my aspirations and dreams academically and within my Sport passion of Taekwondo from the amazing team we met on Open Day.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? To engage with other likeminded determined and commited athletes and build a network of Athletes, Therapists etc around me.

Luke Yates

Sport: Karate

Academic course: Sports and Exercise Science for Health

Best sporting achievement/personal best: WUKF World Silver medalist 2022.

GB Open Silver medalist 2022.

UWK English Silver medalist.

2022/23 goals in sport: To maintain the same levels of improvement and success throughout 2022/23.

To medal both nationally and internationally this year.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? One of my favourite things about Kent Uni is the sports scholarship programme as not only has it helped me financially to be able to compete across the world, the strength and conditioning training has been a significant factor in my performance.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? The chance to engage with the S&C sessions every week and train alongside all of the athletes at Kent.

Will Searle

Sport: Powerlifting

Academic course: PhD – Sport and Exercise Science

Best sporting achievement/personal best: 600kg total.

2022/23 goals in sport: 650kg total.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? The variety of elite athletes that I’ve had the opportunity to work with within the Kent Performance Clinic.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? Representing the university at BUCS.

Freddy Adams

Sport: Cross-country/ road distance running

Academic course: BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science with a Year in Industry

Best sporting achievement/personal best: 33rd in the ESSA English schools championships / 7th in the country for 10 miles.

2022/23 goals in sport: Compete in all BUCS championship races across the country and continuing to smash my personal records

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? I loved the vibe it gave off when I looked around, it seemed friendly, supportive and fun. Also the sports science course offered a year in industry that I thought would be a great opportunity for me.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? Using all the modern sports technology I haven’t been able to access before and using the campus’s top sports facilities.

Imogen Davis

Sport: Heptathlon

Academic course: Sport and Exercise Science

Best sporting achievement/personal best: I placed 2nd in the UK for u17 Women for the Pentathlon in 2020. I’m currently Kent Long Jump Champion (for the past 3 years) and Kent High Jump Champion.

2022/23 goals in sport: I will be competing as part of the Kent Team at the English Schools Multi- Events Final (September 2022). I also aim to represent England at an International competition in 2023. I aim to rank in the top 20 in the UK for the Senior Women’s Heptathlon in 2023. I also aim to jump over 6 metres in Long Jump.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? I love the staff involved with my course, as well as wanting to stay local to train with my coach. I also really like the community atmosphere and support network.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? Representing the university at BUCS competitions, as well as working with experts on the scheme to improve my performance.

Ewan Wood

Sport: Athletics/400m

Best sporting achievement/personal best: BUCS semi-finalist, county championships finalist. 400m: 48.88sec.

2022/23 goals in sport:To make the BUCS final and to run sub 48 seconds at least and sub 22 for 200m.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? Kent Uni provides me with the flexibility to study and continue with my sport.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? The specialist seminars.

Jackson Arcand

Sport: Ice Hockey

Best sporting achievement/personal best: Rookie All-Star Game PJHL – Lead Dresden Kings JRC Team in points.

2022/23 goals in sport: Make the Kent University Team – Get looked at for Semi-Pro and Pro Team.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? Excited to go to the UK.  Kent looked like a good school and caught my attention.  I am looking forward to playing for the team.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? Improving my skills and hopefully leading the team.

Leonie Charles

Sport: Ice Hockey / Roller Hockey

Best sporting achievement/personal best: Playing for GB Ice Hockey U18 in Poland.

2022/23 goals in sport: To earn more game time in my current team by being a more creative player.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? I love the inclusivity at Kent.  Not many places support Ice Hockey, so I am very grateful.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? Taking part in the sessions such as Nutrition as I find them very informative.

Harshan Deo

Sport: Trampolining

Academic Course: Sports and Exercise Science

Best sporting achievement/personal best: Qualifying and competing in South East regional championships and placing 1st in a number of regional competitions.

2022/23 goals in sport: To get in the top 2 of my category, enabling me to compete at inter regionals and increase my chances at competing in nationals.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? I enjoy the course that I study  and getting to be on campus with other students experiencing uni life.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? Competing for the Uni in trampolining and progressing my skill level.

Mia Reynolds

Sport: Netball

Best sporting achievement/personal best: Getting to the national club finals with my youth netball team, and getting into the regional squad.

2022/23 goals in sport: To improve my skills within netball to help me become a stronger player and help our uni team to do well in the league.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? What I like about the uni is that everyone was so welcoming within netball and my course.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? To learn different skills and techniques in and out of the gym to help me become a better overall player.

Ajay Scott

Sport: Archery

Best sporting achievement/personal best: My best sporting achievement so far would be winning a bronze medal at the European Youth Cup in Bucharest, Romania 2021.

2022/23 goals in sport: One of my goals for the coming year is to medal in the Archery GB National Tour stage and hopefully qualify for the finals.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? I wanted to study at Kent because I have heard really good things through former teachers and peers and seeing the facilities that are on offer is.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? I am really looking forward to competing in the BUCS competitions.

Charlotte Aird

Sport: Cricket

Best sporting achievement/personal best: Indoor varsity win. 170* 2021.

2022/23 goals in sport: More consistent with my bowling, and maintain a higher average throughout the season. BUCS finals.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? Kent has a great team environment which makes everyone feel welcomed especially within UKC cricket.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? I really enjoyed the nutrition talks last year and am excited to continue to learn more about it this coming year.

Liam Durrant

Sport: Cricket

Best sporting achievement/personal best: Top 8 in the country at school level.

101*

2022/23 goals in sport: Succeeding in all BUCs competitions and achieving in outdoor season to come.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? Playing sport with and against many other students, and high interest in the course.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? Competing in BUCs.

Kalea Moore

Sport: Cricket

Academic course: Sports Science and Health

Best sporting achievement/personal best: Playing for England A in a three-day game at Arundel castle.

2022/23 goals in sport: To Play for England A again or being part of the England squad and making it back from injury.

Why did you apply to study at Kent (new students) or what is your favourite thing about Kent Uni (returning students)? The friendships that I have made throughout the year and the events that go on within the sports teams.

What are you looking forward to experiencing most on the Scheme this year? Meeting new people and taking part in Varsity again.