Student Success: Jude Aikins-Hawkson

Sports Science graduate has been awarded with a First Class degree

Jude Aikins-Hawkson, kent university

Why did you choose to study your course?

I studied this course because I am very passionate about sport and I’ve been playing sport my whole life. Therefore if I wasn’t going to play it professionally, I would still love to be involved within it somehow. The process involved with the development of elite athletes was always appealing to me and having experienced it at my time when I was playing for Oxford United at youth team level, I was always very interested on how the sports science team worked. Hence, the decision to study this degree at university.

How have you enjoyed your time at SSES?

The diversity of students within my year group made my time at SSES enjoyable. Meeting new people with different grinds in their given sport also inspired me. The Medway Park injury clinic was very beneficial for me as I suffered a few injuries during my time at university.

What are your current sporting achievements?

Current sporting achievements would be representing my county in football throughout secondary school. Being involved with the youth team set up at Oxford United after finishing school. Now I’m playing semi-professional football and aspiring to keep climbing up the non-league ladder and really establishing myself as a footballer.

What are your plans for the future?

To continue my studies within the sport science field, doing a masters course at Loughborough University and also continue playing football.

What advice you’d give to stage 1 and 2 students in order for them to achieve their potential?

As cliché as it sounds, work hard! Hard work does produce results. Also, don’t be afraid to seek additional support from lecturers and SLAS. Get involved with as many things as you can. Lastly, manage your time well. It may get to a point that you have to do so many things at once but everything can still be done if you manage your time accordingly!