Meet the Team – Lucy Hale

Next in our Meet the Team series we chat to Lucy Hale, Programme Director for the Sport and Exercise Science course.

Why did you pick a career in sport?

I have been fascinated by how the human body performs and adapts to training for as long as I can remember. I was a competitive athlete from the age of 9 and became a member of the England cross country team when I was 16. I had a natural understanding of what worked for me in terms of training and nutrition. The very nature of being an athlete means you are generally quite good at applying yourself, challenging yourself and you question things. As a result  I became very passionate about studying sport science as an undergraduate degree, it was a natural choice for me (the other option would have been art and design which I also enjoyed).

What do you enjoy most about teaching at Kent?

Helping students to realise their potential. The most rewarding thing is seeing students’ progress and gain confidence. Some have gone on to further study in sports nutrition or have a career in that area. It’s nice to help facilitate that. Also the job is very varied and creative. For example giving lectures is only part of the story, we also carry out research projects, put together online global courses, work with industry and think of creative ways to enhance teaching and learning.

What are you currently researching?

My current research focuses on sport nutrition interventions and their role in enhancing endurance performance. I am also interested in how athletes respond to dietary interventions based on their genetics.

What is your favourite sport to watch or play?

Running is my favourite sport because I simply love doing it, It’s completely second nature to me and has provided me with many opportunities and life experiences. I am trying to get into triathlon at the moment to combine my love of running and cycling and to improve my swimming. For the pure fun factor, I enjoy watching US sports such as ice hockey and basketball.