Meet the Team – Dave Hooper

Next in our Meet the Team series we chat to lecturer in Sport Management, Dave Hooper

Why did you pick a career in sport?
Sport has always been my passion. For me it is a subject that I have always been fascinated by and love discussing. As a subject it is international and as a career choice there are a myriad of opportunities for employment. I have been fortunate enough to live and work in a few different countries working alongside many different cultures. I have worked in Football Management, Sports/Fitness Development and Ski & Tennis coaching. I went to university to study Human Movement and Sports Development and found a career in Sports Management, Coaching and Teaching. Once I graduated I never looked back.
What do you enjoy most about teaching at Kent?
Engaging with students during lectures, seminars and beyond. I work a lot in the local community finding students opportunities to try different sports and fitness related development projects. I particularly enjoy watching the individual student journey through their chosen degree course and then into graduate employment, fully motivated with a real drive to succeed.
I am still in contact with some Alumni from the School who are living in various countries around the world and either promoting sport, working in health/fitness or running international tournaments/events. They do like to remind me of the similarities between the lessons learned at Uni and the issues they are being paid to overcome!

What are you currently researching?
Weight Training & Fitness Opportunities for Girls in local Secondary Schools.
Business opportunities in Personal Training and Online personal training options.
Placement opportunities in Fitness, Health, Sport Development and Teaching
What is your favourite sport to watch or play
Winter – Skiing
Summer – Golf/Cycling
Really enjoy watching the big Golf tournaments (Ryder Cup/The Open) or Ski Sunday.