Meet the Team – Dr Glen Davison

Glen Davidson

Next in our Meet the Team series we chat to Reader and Director of Research, Dr Glen Davison

Why did you pick a career in sport?

I was always interested in sport and exercise from a young age and I took part in a wide variety of sports myself. In particular, I played a lot of football and competed in athletics (middle-distance events). I remember my first experience of competing at the British national championships in athletics, as a junior, where I competed in the steeplechase. I ran the semi-finals on the Saturday and had the final less than 24 hours later. It was key to prepare and try and ‘peak’ for the championships but in events like this, it was also really important to recover optimally (both physically and mentally) between rounds and finals etc. At the time, I had no idea how much science could play a role in this. Looking back in later years, I became more aware of how much Sports Science could benefit athletes and performers (and that I might be able to use this to enhance my own training and competition). I enjoyed science at school and performed well in subjects like Biology and Physics. Naturally, when I discovered that Sport Science was an academic field of study, being able to combine science with my love for sport, it was the ideal option for me, and that is what started me on this path.

What do you enjoy most about teaching at Kent?

We have great students, and a great community- it feels like you really get to know your colleagues and students throughout the year. In addition, Kent is a great place to live (and the weather is great in the summer). We have great transport links, for example we have easy access to London but with the countryside, and seaside right on your doorstep.

What are you currently researching?

My main research areas are: Sports nutrition- how this influences performance, and resistance to illness in athletes. The effect of caffeine on the immune system in athletes and how genetics influences this. The effect of caffeine on performance and how the effects may vary in females across the menstrual cycle and/or oral contraceptive use. I’m also studying the benefits of exercise in People with Parkinson’s (and trying to identify biomarkers for this).

What is your favourite sport to watch or play?

Athletics (especially the middle-distance events).