Meet the Team – Dr Steve Meadows

Next in the Meet the Team series we chat to Programme Director for Sport and Exercise for Health and Admissions Officer, Dr Steve Meadows

Why did you pick a career in sport?
Both my parents were sporty and ran a sports business. I enjoyed sport at school and maintain participation in a range of sports. It’s an ideal job where you can combine your professional career with something you enjoy and are passionate about.

What do you enjoy most about teaching at Kent?
My most fulfilling aspect of teaching is working with students in the clinical exercise groups as they see theory being put into practice. I remember one student telling me after the first exercise session she attended that she now realised why she was doing a degree and what she wanted to do when she graduated.

What are you currently researching?
My projects revolve around exercise interventions for clinical populations, namely cardiac and stroke rehabilitation, and exercise for people with Parkinson’s. I am also involved in an external project looking at the effects of singing on lung disease. Outcome measures from these projects range from functional capacity to chemicals produced within the body to promote brain function.

What is your favourite sport to watch or play?
I only really watch rugby union – I have always enjoyed participation over spectating. I play tennis, kayak, cycle and run – I especially enjoy running with my dog!