Student Success -Aaron Barnes

BA Sport Management student Aaron Barnes is achieving sporting success in football

Why did you choose to study your course?

I’ve always had a keen interest in Management, particularly within sport. The idea of managing an organisation and the variety of activities that entails holds a great appeal to me. Sport Management is something that I have had a keen interest in and sport, as well as the academic side of things, has played a major part of my life up to date.

How did you get on the team at Colchester United?

From a young age I was fortunate to enough to be signed by my boyhood club Arsenal FC and played there from the age of 10-16. I then made the conscious decision to sign a professional contract with Charlton Athletic at 17 where I featured for the first team on a few occasion as well as developing and gaining experience on loan for a season at Torquay United. It was in January 2018 when I signed for Colchester United where, since then, I have been balancing full time professional football alongside studying here part time at the University.

What are your plans for the future?

Whilst playing professional football at the highest level possible has always been my ambition, I am aware that ultimately it is a very short and unpredictable career. Im looking forward to finishing my studies at the university over the next few years, along with my current experiences within the football industry to pursue a Sporting director role once my playing days are over.