How to get your perfect job

To begin our exciting new Employability blog series we have a fascinating piece to share from one of our recent graduates from the BSc Sport and Exercise for Health programme. Rose Brenton is a newly appointed exercise physiologist with the local NHS cardiac rehabilitation team. Here is what she had to say on how to get your perfect job:

“After all those years of hard work, stress, and more than your fair share of emotional breakdowns over that assignment that’s due in tomorrow, you can finally call yourself a graduate with the degree that you thought you might never get. And that’s a great feeling, but then what?

These days we’re all too familiar with the difficulties of landing that all important first job. That moment of realisation that maybe the degree you worked so hard for isn’t quite enough. The crucial decision between using your degree to start a career, or settling for something, when you know you’re capable of much more.

This is a dilemma that many of us face, myself included, and so it’s important to set yourself up for success early on. This is my 3 step guide for making sure you give yourself the best possible chance of getting the perfect job:

Step 1: Studying

The hard work has to start early. It’s easy to be complacent and drift through Uni being more concerned about what happened last night than what needs to be done for tomorrow, but it’s all about getting the balance right. Employers are looking not just for a degree, but a GOOD degree. This means to give yourself a head start over others you need to be aiming for a 2:1 or higher! And it’s possible. Consistency is key. As a chronic procrastinator myself, I can honestly say the best advice is to get that assignment done early and keep organised. This will help keep stress levels down and leave you with more time when the weekend finally gets here. In the end we all get the degree we deserve, so focus on the end goal. It’ll be worth it.

Step 2: Volunteering & Work Experience

“I’m sorry but you don’t have the relevant experience that we are looking for”

This phrase may come in many different variations, but the bottom line is that relevant work experience is of the upmost importance.

Securing a volunteer role while still at Uni may be one of the most valuable assets you gain alongside your degree. No one likes to work for nothing, but I have to say, even if you give up an hour or two a week of your precious time, it makes all the difference. Voluntary experience speaks volumes about you as a person and allows you to gain the all-important work experience needed for that dream role.

What goes around comes around – those unpaid hours will set you apart from the rest and eventually you will get your reward. Also it’s not always what you know, but who you know. Cliché maybe, but the people you may meet through work experience and volunteering may come in handy when looking for a full time position.

Step 3: Extra Qualifications

Along with work experience, any further qualifications you earn will give you that much needed boost. It shows initiative and willingness to expand your skills and knowledge. Getting my personal trainer qualification, and others, has opened so many doors for me and gives a practical application to my degree.

If during the course of your studies you have the opportunity to get any extra qualifications or certificates, grab it! If not, it’s never too late. Be proactive and find a recognised course (there are many) that will give you the qualification that makes you stand out.

I know I may sound like a nagging parent or teacher, but this worked for me! In the end if you work hard, it will pay off, but most importantly be patient and enjoy it, this will allow you to be the best that you can be.

GOOD LUCK!”