‘Following university I was appointed in a health promotion role with the NHS ‘

For the third Question and Answer blog in our ‘Student Life’ blog series we have a an interesting set of answers to share from our recent graduate Louise Holden. Now the Public Health Workforce Development Programme Manager for Public Health England, Louise previously studied with us full-time, on  our Sports Therapy BSc. Louise was asked 7 questions and here is how she responded:

1. Why did you choose to study at the University of Kent?

The reputation of University of Kent as well as offering a unique course combining my interests in sport, health and fitness.  I felt the course met my interests more than a typical sports science degree.  It combined elements of sports rehabilitation, business and event management and health promotion.

2. What did you enjoy most about being at the University of Kent?

I particularly valued the close-knit community that the Medway campus offered, access to top of the range science and lab equipment and a well-equipped Drill Hall library and knowledge resources.

3. What did you value most about your course?

The open door policy of the lecturers and the support they provided.  Lessons were well-structured and stimulating and the staff highly knowledgeable and passionate.  Smaller class sizes were an added bonus as you had more one-to-one contact time.  The lecturers often went that extra mile e.g. Steve Meadows for allowing us to attend a Phase IV cardiac rehabilitation class.

4. What did you enjoy about living and studying at the Medway campus?

I lived off campus – and had an hour commute.  It was only an hour journey and this made it more convenient to attend and cost efficient as I did not need to relocate during my studies.

5. What did you plan to do after your graduation from the University of Kent?

I wanted to continue to pursue my passions in health and wellbeing and was looking for a career in health promotion.  Following university I was appointed in a health promotion role with the NHS and lead the successful initiation of the Health Trainer service in a part of Kent.  Since then I have worked in numerous health promotion and training roles gradually working my way up the career ladder.  In addition to working, I self-funded an MSc in Public Health at Brunel University and studied on a part-time basis.  The underpinning skills and knowledge gained at Kent certainly helped bridge the gap between undergraduate and postgraduate training.

6. How do you think your experience at the University of Kent will help you after graduation?

The encouragement from the lecturers and push to excel has certainly helped me.  The event management module allowed me to combine my interest in health promotion to actually commence the first health walk in Medway  – this allowed be to demonstrate my ability to put knowledge into action, it allowed me to build networks and was the main talking point in job interviews.  It was the experience that resulted from undertaking this module that helped secure my first job after leaving University.

7. How would you recommend the University of Kent to other students?

Smaller class sizes, knowledgeable, hands-on lecturers and great resources.